Question / Help OBS recording is lagging / Game isnt lagging

dadi01

Hello (again),

a few days ago, I started using OBS Studios 64-Bit. I have a 1080 Ti as for my games and my 970 as a render card installed.
But my recordings are always lagging whether I use Nvidia NVENC or H.264 encoder(with my 1080 ti or my 970) or my SSD or my normal drive to save the recordings.
I really dont know anymore what can I do now.

Here are some logfiles.

Attachments

• 2018-08-15 08-47-37.txt
    23.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 2018-08-15 09-19-40.txt
    15.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 2018-08-15 09-26-51.txt
    7.9 KB · Views: 23

BK-Morpheus

Can you provide a GPU-Z screenshot that can show us, if your second GPU is crippling the performance or not?
Many systems will reduce the PCI-E lanes from the main GPU, when a second GPU is installed and therefore the bandwidth is dropping too low for OBS.
Dunno, what the GTX970 is supposed to do there anyway, as outsourcing the NVENC load to a second GPU is not helping at all.

dadi01

Some information: I use 2 monitors. If I want to record my main monitor with the normal monitor-capture source setting I can only choose my second monitor... and my games are shown on my first(144 Hz). Maybe theres a connection!!!
And an another information: The normal nVidia Shadowplay Recording is working fine...

Attachments

• 1123.jpg
    1123.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 31

BK-Morpheus

Are both monitors connected to the GTX1080 TI?
Your GTX970 is only running on 8 PCI-E lanes, can you select the GTX1080 TI in GPU-Z (bottom left drop down menu) and check, if it's also running on reduced PCI-E lanes?
I highly suggest to remove the GTX970 from the system, and connect both monitors to the GTX1080 TI.

dadi01

No, my 2nd monitor is connected to the 970 'cause the frequence is boosting to the max if I connect both of them to the 1080. Is a bug and already known.
Yes I think that my 1080 is running too on 8 PCI-E lanes "PCIe x16 3.0 @ x8 1.1".
I think my 1080 has to run on x16 ? I started the render test in GPU Z. It shows that my 1080 ti develops x16 3.0. After I started the render-test it turned into x8 3.0 from x8 1.1...

Last edited:

BK-Morpheus

Yes, you need all 16 PCI-E lanes, but your mainboard will cut the lanes in half, as soon as the second pci-e graphics slot is used.

BK-Morpheus

Depends on CPU and Mainboard, but why on earth do you want to keep the GTX970 in this system at all?
NVENC is an encoder unit on the graphics card, so swapping NVENC encoding from the 1080TI to the GTX970 is not really improving your ingame GTX1080 Ti performance and due to the pci-e lanes / bandwidth reduction, it cripples OBS performance and gaming performance.

dadi01

As i already said, my first monitor is connected via DVI and my 2nd is connected via HDMI. The 1080 Ti has the known bug that if multiple monitors are connected that the 1080 Ti is boosting in ultra powermode and turning from idle136 Mhz to 1900 Mhz only if there is my 2nd monitor connected. And thats bad because the performance is just taken for the 2nd monitor and there isnt enough for gaming. Actually my 2nd monitor is connected via the 970. Yeah thats the reason.
My CPU i7-6700K and my Mainboard ASUS Z170 ProGaming. I hope there is a solution. Kannst mir auch auf deutsch antworten!

Last edited:

BK-Morpheus

The bug, that the GPU frequency is not dropping into idle states should not hurt gaming performance, just power usage in idle.
Glad, my GTX1070 does not have such a bug with two monitors.

BK-Morpheus

For gaming alone, it's not a big deal with only 8 lanes, but for the additional bandwidth that OBS needs to access the framebuffer, the performance loss is very noticeable.

dadi01

And if I use 8 lanes with my 970 ONLY for rendering and the other 8 lanes with my 1080 ti for gaming is there also performance los at obs?

Narcogen

As I understand it from other threads, what OBS wants to do is grab the framebuffer from the GPU without copying it, and then do its compositing with those frames on the same GPU. NVENC is the most efficient way of doing that, since the frame data never leaves the card-- it just gets handed over to the onboard encoder.

If you are playing the game and compositing on separate GPUs, then the framebuffer needs to be copied. So not only are you doing a less efficient operation, but the setup above is reducing the bandwidth available to perform that less efficient operation.

dadi01

Okay thanks for this explanation. Tomorrow im putting by GTX 970 out of my PC.
I have an other problem now. Im recording with CBR and a bitrate ob 15000 my gameplays. Theyre about 1 hour. After I uploaded them to YouTube the available quality is only 360p alltough my presets are good and FULL HD. I dont know what to do anymore. I know that you have to wait till YouTube is setting your video up to Full HD but after 1 day still 360p isnt normal anymore

Attachments

• 2018-08-17 18-41-07.txt
    14.1 KB · Views: 21

Narcogen

I have sometimes had videos take an unreasonably long time for all conversions to be done. It would depend on exactly what you gave them-- what container, what codecs, what bitrates. Did the upload page complain about settings when you sent the file?

Also, don't use CBR for recording-- you're wasting disk space and bandwidth. Use CQP or CRF, set a quality level. That allows your computer to use a lower bitrate when it can, and to reserve high bitrates for complex scenes.

CBR is best reserved for streaming services since nearly all of them do not support variable bit rates.

dadi01

Can you give me good presets? Yes the upload page says something about a format for streaming or smth. like that