Question / Help OBS not outputting Minecraft window

TrueDeviL

So, I have just updated to the new version 20.0.1 and thought I'd setup Minecraft with a new modpack I've not played..

I setup Game Capture, and chose the (java64) Minecraft 1.10.2 specific window, I could see Minecraft in this window, so hit OK, now there's no capture...

It shows in the capture window, but does not output it into the main OBS stream window..

It also crashes Java, and Minecraft errors & closes..

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, or different than I've done before..

So, suggestions?

EDIT: Uploaded log file

Attachments

• broken-obs-minecraftjpg.jpg
    broken-obs-minecraftjpg.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 459
  • 2017-08-12 15-29-58.txt
    13.9 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

Harold

Multiple Game Capture sources are usually not needed, and can sometimes interfere with each other. You can use the same Game Capture for all your games! If you change games often, try out the hotkey mode, which lets you press a key to select your active game. If you play games in fullscreen, use "Capture any fullscreen application" mode.
Note, this is per scene COLLECTION.

TrueDeviL

ok, I don't always play in fullscreen tho, as I have 2 monitors, and when streaming it's easier to switch to my chat/OBS/music etc on the second screen, if I play in a window..

I also prefer the multiple sources, as I might need to set up things, like stream alerts, camera (if I use it), in different places, depending on how the layout of the game screen is..

So althought the suggestion is noted, it does not fix the issue.. Thank you tho :)

However, this issue still makes Java crash..

Harold

Multiple Game Capture sources are usually not needed, and can sometimes interfere with each other. You can use the same Game Capture for all your games! If you change games often, try out the hotkey mode, which lets you press a key to select your active game. If you play games in fullscreen, use "Capture any fullscreen application" mode.

As for the java crash, do you have THAT crashlog?

TrueDeviL

I got a friend to download OBS Studio (he was using the old one, not studio, which worked fine), so a completely fresh install, no other scenes or sources, and game capture just isn't working, and still crashing java..

He said it works in window capture, I tested it, if I have minecraft open in it's default 800x600 window, at first it looked like it was working, when I maximised it (bigger window, not fullscreen), OBS showed it frozen in 800x600, and stopped working..

Seems OBS is broken for Minecraft, least the new version is..

Maybe I can use the old version (not studio) for Minecraft, and the new one for everything else

I can't get the java crash log right now, but I managed to happily play MC, without OBS open for over an hour, second I opened OBS, it crashed java..

TrueDeviL

Ok.. So.. I did a completely fresh install of the latest OBS, removed all user settings, etc...

I got MC to work, with game capture (it did crash java, but that was when I 1st set it up).. I restarted MC, and it seems fine..

I've yet to add the other bits back in, so we will see..

This means it could be an issue with the auto updater, missing something maybe, but that's the only thing I did last time, auto-update it, and it didn't work.. Or maybe it was just mine that messed up, I dunno..

I'll post my finding when I've re-set everything up, and tested it...

Thanks for the help tho Harold, hopefully it's now fixed...

TrueDeviL

Ok, so this is the MC log, although I got MC to show in OBS now, it ALWAYS crashes MC, the second it appears on the screen in the OBS window, using Game Capture..

MC has 8gb of ram, so it's not lack of ram, it's OBS crashing it somehow...

I still can't stream it...

Attachments

• latest.log
    56.8 KB · Views: 58

TrueDeviL

Ok, it's the only log that I can see.. So, I did notice in that log, it says the PermGen is 256m, I added an argument to the Twitch app, and told it to up the PermGen to 512 (I have no real idea if this worked), and it seemed to stop crashing, so maybe it's a Java issue, and somehow OBS managed to crash it on that?.. I honestly don't know, just trying to fix it, it's annoying..

I may seem I'm grabbing at straws here, but I'll put it in easy terms (I'm not stupid, I just have no idea what's going on with it)

I used to stream MC a lot with OBS Classic, I then changed to Studio, and maybe streamed MC a couple times more, then I stopped for a long time, now when I tried to stream again, it just constantly crashed, through what I considered normal operation, like I'm not running 300 mods, or silly stuff like that, all I knnow is.. It worked, I updated, it stopped working :P

Hopefully, upping the PermGen fixed the issue, but until I actually try to stream it, I really have no idea..

TrueDeviL

Update: I had a chat with one of my viewers, and he came up with the idea, that OBS & the Nvidia Overlay might be trying to fight for control of the MC window..

I disabled Nvidia overlay, and MC didn't crash when OBS displayed the game in it's viewer (it crashed 6 times, the second it appeared) before I turned off the overlay...

So it could be OBS & Nvidia Overlay are having issues, be this because of the recent update on OBS, or Nvidia's software, I don't know..