Resource icon

obs-ndi - NewTek NDI™ integration into OBS Studio 4.13.0

Lizzo

Hey guys I'm on Windows 10 with the latest OBS and installing the latest obs-ndi. However, my install doesnt' register (I don't see the ndi option under new sources or under tools). Could the problem be environment variables or maybe which folder i unzip the obs-ndi files into? Any help on getting the install correct would mean a lot i've been working all day to get it work =/

Attachments

• ndi_help_1.PNG
    ndi_help_1.PNG
    38.3 KB · Views: 83

Yulian Min

Hello!
Thank you for integrating NewTek NDI as a plugin for OBS, it's very convenient and useful!

I need help: I installed obs-ndi 4.9.1 and the bundled NDI Runtime 4.5.1 on my first Windows 10 computer.
After that, the plugin was immediately displayed in the program's tools and the NDI Source also appeared in items to be added to the scene.

But after the same installation on another Windows 7 computer, the plugin was not detected by the program and its items are not displayed.

I tried restarting my computer but it didn't help.
I tried to install the plugin again, but it also gave no results.

OBS on my second computer with W7 is installed in the standard path:
C: \ Program Files \ obs-studio,
and the plugin was installed correctly, its files are present in the following folders:
C: \ Program Files \ obs-studio \ obs-plugins \ 64bit
and
C: \ Program Files \ obs-studio \ data \ obs-plugins \ obs-ndi

I have the latest version of the OBS is 27.1.3 (64 bit), the program reports that there are no updates.

1. Is there anything I can do to get obs-ndi running on my Windows 7?

2. And I also wanted to find out for myself, since now I do not have the opportunity to check it: will NDI work between computers connected not via Ethernet, but via WiFi?

very sad… is there any software based alternative for obs. I do not want to buy 2 capture cards

If you are going strictly between two OBS Studio installs, a new plugin just dropped, OBS Teleporter. I just tried it out myself. and for being an initial release, I'm more than impressed with it. Per the person who wrote this, it is not NDI-compatible as I suspect NewTek keeps details of how NDI works under wraps. However, it works very nicely between two OBS installs. It transports both video and audio.

Domassimo

How processor hungry is having NDI inputs? Could I have 4 running without any problems? Is there a specific spec Mac needed to do this?
Really depends on the resolution and framerate of those NDI feeds, and perhaps on their quality setting too. And on your mac's ability to process it all. Four 1080p streams should be feasible for a modern machine but best to try. If it's 4K streams x 4, bandwidth is also becoming an issue over a 1Gbps connection.

Tom Ove Kaland

Palakis submitted a new resource:

NDI Input/Output plugin for OBS Studio - NewTek NDI™ integration into OBS Studio

Read more about this resource...
Hi,

We use this plugin on our Broadcast and it is awesome. However we often find that we have to restart OBS to "reaload" the sources. We use NDI Accsess Manager to link 3 studios together. If a source is made visual in the network (internal and external) the OBS that is recipiant has to be restarted to be able to detect the new source.

Is it possible to ha a re scan fuction on the plugin inteface in stead?

If you need to do any changes to a NDI source while the main OBS is broadcasting, there is no way to acces the new source on the lan without restarting OBS.

Regards
Tom Ove Kaland

Phibbit

This is a critical plugin for our setup, with two cameras and a PC sending their signal via NDI to the OBS PC.

Is there anything we can do now the developer has seemingly abandoned it? while I like the nice touch that his first and last posts were 5 years apart to the day, it would have been nice if there had been some way to handover to another developer?

For example, Is there a process for asking OBS Project to bring this into the main build as they have done with other resouces? or maybe approach newtek?

If nothing is done there will come a point where it just doesnt work due to updates in OBS or newer NDI hardware.

Acey05

The Github has all the files people need to fork it over and create their own revisions, but for some reason people always keep the changes for themselves (such as the one that fixes the Audio Desync). Hell, they even deleted the Beta builds at one point even.

As for OBS bringing this in, it won't happen. There are many things people asked for OBS that are smaller QOL (such as why does it try to access a USB Drive first when it detects it and ends up hard-locking the entire PC in the process, or why does "closed" media in a scene still consume processing power in the background even when told to completely stop/unload).

NDI (even basic send over network function) is something they refuse to implement for some reason.

HTWingNut

Will this record multiple streams on the same PC that is capturing the video? I don' t need to send over network.

I tried using Source Record plugin. At first it seemed to work great, but then realized individual source videos were sped up. Just looking for a simple way to record OBS scene plus each individual source separately.

Domassimo

Will this record multiple streams on the same PC that is capturing the video? I don' t need to send over network.

I tried using Source Record plugin. At first it seemed to work great, but then realized individual source videos were sped up. Just looking for a simple way to record OBS scene plus each individual source separately.
No, it won't, not by itself. The NDI plugin is really only about bringing in or outputting NDI sources. You could potentially output individual sources as NDI sources and then use another program to ingest and save those sources.

Acey05

Just a note, the OBS update (27.2.1) is being weird NDI. If you DON'T need it for the Twitch Integration I suggest skipping it.

Whenever you start a game (the only exception is very specific low end Unity games), the NDI Main Output will start lagging the Audio by almost 2 seconds, both Desktop and Microphone.

The only solution I found is to restart OBS after starting up the game to fix the Audio Desync.

It doesn't matter if using Screen, Game or Window Capture, it's OBS itself with NDI.

I think the NDI Filters can bypass this issue, but considering how "heavy" the Filters are compared to NDI Main, for some people it may not even be an option (espcially since the NDI Filters are NOT modular, you can't disable them, they are always taxing your PC unless you delete them outright).

Please note the weird part is that it's not consistent. The stream itself will be fine most of the times, but sometimes it will not, and sometimes, the recording will have the desnyc and other times not. Even if it shows the Desync of the Audio on the meter, it's a crap-shoot if it's working or not.

It's clear that OBS-NDI becoming unusable at this point for the more general use or for everyday streaming people that don't want to break the bank or fiddle around with compiling stuff and what not, at this point the Plugin Teleport is the only thing worth even using.

Talonis

It's clear that OBS-NDI becoming unusable at this point for the more general use...

Sadly true. I found alternative ways the past few months though I still find the NDI Monitor output useful (when it behaves). As OBS keeps getting updated and this plugin doesn't it will eventually become completely ineffective. A sad day but thanks again to the original author for creating the plugin and allowing us to use it for all this time for free. Thank you.

jualat

Has anyone experience with the Low-Latency-Setting? Is it really "experimental" or does it work well? Wihtout it I get more han half a second of latency

Tpallot

I went to Github Issues and found the answer to my problem.
obs_audio_frame.data =
(uint8_t*)(&audio_frame.p_data[i * audio_frame.no_samples]);
To:
obs_audio_frame.data = (uint8_t*)( &audio_frame.p_data[ i * audio_frame.channel_stride_in_bytes ]);

.channel_stride_in_bytes was the fix.
Here is the link to the bug line on Line 332:
Bug for Mac and Linux: https://github.com/Palakis/obs-ndi/blob/4.9.1/src/obs-ndi-source.cpp#L332

Issue Tracker: https://github.com/Palakis/obs-ndi/issues/655
Halelujah we now have sound!
I have the same issue, but I am not understanding your solution. Would you please explain how to fix the problem? You would be a life saver!!!!!