Resource icon

obs-ndi - NewTek NDI™ integration into OBS Studio 4.13.0

Tangential

When I try and install the NDI plugin package in Catalina I also get an error:

Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 6.22.09 PM.png

Is there a work around for this? I was able to download the NewTek NDI package and install it and I renamed the obs-ndi-4.7.1-macos.pkg to obs-ndi-4.7.1-macos.xar and unpacked it. In it I found and obs-ndi_plugin.pkg but Catalina says it is damaged.

Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 6.37.08 PM.png

I even installed it on a Mojave box and tried copying /Library/Application Support/obs-studio/plugins/obs-ndi to my catalina box. Once I did that I get an error when I start OBS and catalina wants to remove it.

StingerNLG

Unless I am doing something wrong, is it possible in a Skype call to have each individual NDI source on it's own audio channel? For whatever reason if I have for example 3 NDI sources from a group Skype call in my scene, all three's audio duplicates on each other's channels and it sounds like they are talking in tin cans.

Thanks!
Mike Mullis
The Original Next Level Gaming

Narcogen

Unless I am doing something wrong, is it possible in a Skype call to have each individual NDI source on it's own audio channel? For whatever reason if I have for example 3 NDI sources from a group Skype call in my scene, all three's audio duplicates on each other's channels and it sounds like they are talking in tin cans.

Mute the other sources. Apparently this is just the way Skype has implemented NDI-- individual video, shared audio. I think the use case they designed it for is a traditional remote interview situation, where you're only using one video source at a time, but you need to hear all the audio particpants, rather than a PiP situation with multiple video angles on screen at once-- because your only choices there are either duplicate/echoing audio, or potential problems with sync.

StingerNLG

Mute the other sources. Apparently this is just the way Skype has implemented NDI-- individual video, shared audio. I think the use case they designed it for is a traditional remote interview situation, where you're only using one video source at a time, but you need to hear all the audio particpants, rather than a PiP situation with multiple video angles on screen at once-- because your only choices there are either duplicate/echoing audio, or potential problems with sync.

Gotcha, that makes sense. I will mute all but one of them. Thanks for the advice!!

Mike

Malic

NDI has been working well for me, but am trying to just figure out some things.

Without a game running, and NDI just sending my desktop, is between using 7-20% of my GPU. This seems a bit high. Are there settings I can tweak to tune to the games I play and what I need to send though the network?

sneaky4oe

Is there no way to get ffmpeg with NDI nowdays? I see that it was removed from ffmpeg version 4.2, and I tried to build version 4.1 but always faced this error:
ERROR: Processing.NDI.Lib.h not found

I'd like to configure a transcoding server on linux using NDI+ffmpeg (and if possible to make ffmpeg+ndi for windows usage too) and doesn't look like older ndi download scripts get the old enough version.

shw4y

hey there, downloaded ndi successfully on my mac. trying to use ndi to send mac -> pc

trying to download it on my pc with not much success

i've run through the installation numerous times and restarted after each one and it won't show in my obs

not sure what to do. if anyone could help please do.

my discord is haroon#0001

Ping98

NDI does not work with Nordvpn
Firstsystem is connected to internet = Game & VPN
Second system get its internet from first system (but i want it without vpn) for streaming....
also nord has *Invisibility on LAN* option....but it doesn't work....
Hope they'll fix this soon....

Narcogen

Not sure what you mean by "NDI does not work with NordVPN". Are you saying NDI does not work on your LAN when one machine is connected to the VPN, even for other machines that are not?

Ping98

Yep exactly....you can test it....
but when i don't run it...everything is correct
also tried *Sharemy internet networkinterface* &Network Bridge....but didn't work
By the way windows has lots of problems with configuring network brdige
whenever i want to bridge 2 networks.... i should restart my system because of bad configuration....

Last edited:

powdered_water

Hey there,

I don't suppose any of you guys have an idea of how to get push to talk to work on an audio source through NDI? The best I've been able to do is have the Main Output respect Push to talk. If I use the NDI dedicated output filter on an audio source, it doesn't care.

Hi, thank you for this incredibly useful plugin.

I have found that when I have just one Skype caller, the feed stays stable and if NDI/OBS falls behind the Skype window, it will catch up shortly. But, when I am using Meet Now and have two or more callers as NDI sources, if the GPU falls behind, it will literally never catch up. You can talk forever; the caller(s) will fall into greater and greater delay.

Would love solutions. I have tried this (a) all on my laptop, (b) all on my super fast desktop, and (c) on a combination, with Skype on desktop and OBS on laptop, just to distribute the labor. My CPUs are not even breaking a sweat, and this still happens every time.

Steps to reproduce the phenomeon:
1. On a machine with a less than superstar GPU, start a new OBS project.
2. Start a Meet Now in Skype.
3. Connect to a user with camera on.
4. Add their NDI feed to OBS.
5. Talk for a while, monitoring OBS and the Skype app itself. Observe that if/when sync is lost, it will resync within a second or two.

6. Add a second caller to the Meet Now.
7. Add the second NDI feed to OBS, so you can see both cameras at once.
8. Move the cameras around wildly so a lot of data needs to be crunched. If using a phone, change your orientation/rotation a lot as you move around. Note that the pictures freeze briefly now and then, and after that, each camera has some delay, independent from each other.

Keep talking and note that the delay is never recovered no matter how calm the cameras and CPUs get. It just drifts later and later indefinitely.

And to really drive it home:

9. Add the Active Speaker NDI source to OBS. Note that this source is not laggy at all, at first, but the other two sources are still delayed, all in the same OBS screen.

It should resync eventually, shouldn't it? Like it does when there is only one caller? I don't think it's the extra CPU/GPU burden of multiple callers; I think there's some kind of clock mixup. Each NDI should have its own sync and, somewhere, it is lost.

Watching on the NewTek Studio Monitor or the main Skype window, those are both okay. So it's probably something with OBS or the plugin.

Yes I have tried various sync settings in the Source. Behavior is basically the same.

Thank you so much.

the_isalani

Not sure if this is an NDI issue, or a way of how OBS handles an NDI feed.

When using Skype with OBS-NDI, OBS occasionally resizes the NDI source.

Not sure if this is because different NDI feeds in Skype (different people's webcams) are different resolution, or something else is happening.

Using the latest OBS and NDI plugin, and the latest Skype version:
OBS: 25.0.1
NDI: 4.7.1

Jont

I'm tearing my hair out, trying to use the NDI plugin to pull in Skype calls.

I'm on Windows 10 with OBS 25.0.1. I've installed the latest NDI plugin that says it's good for OBS 22+, and the NDI SDK. I've enabled NDI in Skype, and sure enough I see my Skype calls as NDI sources that I can add in OBS.

But that's where the good news ends. I don't get anything from those NDI sources. If I add them, the video appears to be zero-sized, and if I fill the screen with it I get just black, and nothing on the audio.

Any clues as to what's wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jont.

wekanikita

Pardon my ignorance, but where exactly does this get installed to? The instructions are a bit vague.

I ran the installer but it also says in the install instructions "copy the contents of the archive to the root of your OBS Studio installation folder."

What files makes up the archive, and which path is the root?

I assume the "archive" means ALL files included under the directory "NewTek"? Does that mean "newTek\new tek NDi redist\ v3"?

And is root? The plugin folder under "obs-studio\plugins\64bit"?

UPDATE:
I figured it out. needed the additional DL from the GIT hub. My bad. I just installed the Runtime. Got it working now.

And bought the app for IOS. Seeing live video from my ipad and iphone is wild.
It`s now year 2020 and I have the same problem. Copied the files as you did, still no NDI in the tools folder. What DLL are you talking about and what is GIT hub, something to do with IOS ?. Geuss nobody knows the answer to this one

Yurlyn

It`s now year 2020 and I have the same problem. Copied the files as you did, still no NDI in the tools folder. What DLL are you talking about and what is GIT hub, something to do with IOS ?. Geuss nobody knows the answer to this one
Use the installer (Windows/Mac OS (= version 4.7.1)) which is recommended to install the plugin. That way you don't have to look at what is the root folder and stuff.
If you're on Mac OS Catalina or if it doesn't install the NDI runtime automatically using the previous Mac OS link then install the NDI runtime for Mac OS. That should do it.

fracta

Hello,
I am not able to see the NDI source on OBS. I am on macOS Sierra, running OBS 24.0.6, I installed successfully the NDI.pkg & NDI runtime package....
Shall I open skype to be able to see the plugin in the tool menu or add source menu ?
thanks for your help
fracta