Resource icon

obs-ndi - NewTek NDI™ integration into OBS Studio 4.13.0

NekoMina

Has anyone tried doing a two pc setup on a gigabyte network. I've did one encoding on H264 on streaming pc @ 5k bitrate & 720p60fps but the stream isn't really 60fps, more like 30fps even though it says its 60fps. Just wondering if on gigabyte ethernet it would make a bigger difference. I really want to try it on my other place where I live at with amazing internet: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6669925319 (to show off Kappa)

Heres the example I did on PUBG: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/177578224?t=03m47s

Twitch reports it as 60 FPS, and it looks pretty smooth to me. Twitch is good at reporting actual FPS when watching a VOD, dips and all. What I do see is random pixelation during heavy movement, which is a bitrate issue and not really an issue with NDI. That would be an issue with your stream quality settings.

DoomSantos

What purpose does setting the streampc to 1080 if it's being passed as 720?

Well i don't want to pass it through as 720, i would prefer 1080, but when i do the stream stutters.
Both computers OBS display everything fine, the CPU usage goes up a little bit of course, but nothing over 50%.

MainPC: 720 + StreamPC: 720 = Live Stream fine
MainPC: 720 + StreamPC: 1080 = Live Stream fine
MainPC: 1080 + StreamPC: 1080 = Live Stream stutters
MainPC: 1080 + StreamPC: 720 = Live Stream stutters

i hope this makes more sense.

Ephoxia

Well i don't want to pass it through as 720, i would prefer 1080, but when i do the stream stutters.
Both computers OBS display everything fine, the CPU usage goes up a little bit of course, but nothing over 50%.

I have the same problem, still haven't figured it out. CPU usage is fine, HDD/SSD usage is fine, Network usage is fine. I can't find whats causing the stutters. The preview on OBS on both PC's is fine too

NekoMina

I have the same problem, still haven't figured it out. CPU usage is fine, HDD/SSD usage is fine, Network usage is fine. I can't find whats causing the stutters. The preview on OBS on both PC's is fine too

I know this is a silly question, but have you tested the streaming PC used in this case by itself? Some CPUs, despite being under maximum load, can still cause frame drops and other stuttering issues. I know, for instance, that my old Core i7 920 had these issues for whatever reason.

Just a thought to go ahead and try streaming content straight from that machine, if you haven't already.

Mrpac

Hi i installed it and re istallded it on both pc, but when i start it on the gaming pc it dont seems to find it says like this in the log.

19:04:32.605: [obs-ndi] hello ! (version 4.1.3)
19:04:32.605: [obs-ndi] Trying 'C:\Program Files\NewTek\NewTek NDI Redist\v3'
19:04:32.605: [obs-ndi] Found NDI library at 'C:/Program Files/NewTek/NewTek NDI Redist/v3/Processing.NDI.Lib.x64.dll'
19:04:32.618: [obs-ndi] NDI runtime loaded successfully
19:04:32.619: [obs-ndi] NDI library initialized successfully
19:04:32.632: obs_register_source: Tried to register obs_source_info with size 264 which is more than libobs currently supports (248)
19:04:32.632: Tried to register obs_output_info with size 176 which is more than libobs currently supports (160)
19:04:32.632: obs_register_source: Tried to register obs_source_info with size 264 which is more than libobs currently supports (248)
19:04:32.633: [obs-ndi] starting main NDI output with name 'OBS mrpac'
19:04:32.633: Output ID 'ndi_output' not found
19:04:32.633: Failed to create output 'main_ndi_output'!
19:04:32.681: Couldn't find VLC installation, VLC video source disabled
19:04:32.688: No blackmagic support

DoomSantos

I know this is a silly question, but have you tested the streaming PC used in this case by itself? Some CPUs, despite being under maximum load, can still cause frame drops and other stuttering issues. I know, for instance, that my old Core i7 920 had these issues for whatever reason.

Just a thought to go ahead and try streaming content straight from that machine, if you haven't already.

I think I did this already in my many tests and it was fine, but I don't exactly remember, so I'll give it another go... when my internet is back, good old Australian NBN.

Thanks again for the help guys.

APerfidiousDane

Maybe your network has a hard time handling the transfer of 1080 to the streamPC? You may be able to check logs and see what's up.

SmartASCII

I tried using NDI last night -- it started out okay but with a 50-100ms delay between video and audio. That's fine, that's something I could live with if it's impossible to avoid. However, as the stream went on across the next 3 hours, it became more and more out of sync to the point of 1.5-2seconds between video and audio. Then it finally just crapped out all together with audio stuttering and such.

I'm using the latest NDI plugin, across a wired gigabit LAN with no internal network issues that I've been able to determine. Is this just something that cannot be avoided at this point with NDI or am I missing something?

NekoMina

I tried using NDI last night -- it started out okay but with a 50-100ms delay between video and audio. That's fine, that's something I could live with if it's impossible to avoid. However, as the stream went on across the next 3 hours, it became more and more out of sync to the point of 1.5-2seconds between video and audio. Then it finally just crapped out all together with audio stuttering and such.

I'm using the latest NDI plugin, across a wired gigabit LAN with no internal network issues that I've been able to determine. Is this just something that cannot be avoided at this point with NDI or am I missing something?

Silly question time! Are you certain both computers are strictly using wired networking? What encoder are you using on your gaming PC and your streaming PC? What resolution and FPS target do you have set for both? Is the network currently in use by other things as well? Does the audio delay occur on the streaming PC BEFORE sending the stream data out to Twitch/YouTube/.Wherever it is you're streaming?

jtm57

We just shipped our iOS App with auto-generated scoring graphics based on NDI. Works really well and, for our market (high school/college sports), a boon to video production. The OBS NDI Plug-In seems solid in our testing -- keep up the great work! Here's the detail for any interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05718Bo_zlY

Many thanks to those who've worked on NDI and the OBS NDI Plug In. Great stuff.

jsl

Has anyone tried doing a two pc setup on a gigabyte network. I've did one encoding on H264 on streaming pc @ 5k bitrate & 720p60fps but the stream isn't really 60fps, more like 30fps even though it says its 60fps. Just wondering if on gigabyte ethernet it would make a bigger difference. I really want to try it on my other place where I live at with amazing internet: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6669925319 (to show off Kappa)

Heres the example I did on PUBG: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/177578224?t=03m47s
Have you tried it at your other place yet? Could you check something? After you install the OBS NDI plugin and reboot, can you run a speed test and post your results?

I'm running a dual PC setup on a gigabyte network. The ISP is AT&T, advertised 1Gbps up/down. In reality, I'm getting about 800-900Mbps up/down. However, after installed OBS NDI, my speed drops to <100Mbps, even without using OBS. I already posted on Palakis' GitHub page regarding the issue, as well as submitted a support ticket with Newtek. I just want to see if anyone else is experiencing the same issue.

Have you tried it at your other place yet? Could you check something? After you install the OBS NDI plugin and reboot, can you run a speed test and post your results?
I'm running a dual PC setup on a gigabyte network. The ISP is AT&T, advertised 1Gbps up/down. In reality, I'm getting about 800-900Mbps up/down. However, after installed OBS NDI, my speed drops to <100Mbps, even without using OBS. I already posted on Palakis' GitHub page regarding the issue, as well as submitted a support ticket with Newtek. I just want to see if anyone else is experiencing the same issue.

TL;DR: I think you are saturating that switch, especially if it is an integrated unit that routes/switches or routes/modems/switches. You should get another gigabit switch for your NDI systems only, and uplink that to your main network or switch/router. Creating a separate segment will alleviate the overhead and switching of the NDI which in my case can go up to 300Mbps+ (Each!) between the two clients.

Are you using the integrated switch that is on the Router that AT&T provided? It's possible that you are saturating that switch with more traffic than it can handle in a timely manner. In my testing between two systems running at 1080P/60 Full 709 Color output, I nominally stream at 190Mbps and peak to 320Mbps just between those two boxes. If you take that into consideration when talking about from a switching perspective, you're sending up at let's say 200Mbps, while another is receiving down 200Mbps. Then at the same time if you're streaming out it's whatever that bandwidth is plus routing overhead on the CPU etc. Anyway, my point is that maybe you should segment the network and see what happens.

What I did was move the two systems using NDI onto it's own Gigabit switch together, so I didn't saturate the segment with all my other devices and such that are on the routers' switch ports natively, I did this as a precaution just in case the NDI API utilized a lot of broadcasting and such, this way if it did I could limit the broadcasts to that segment with the NDI systems. Then I uplinked that dedicated NDI System Group (Two PC's with OBS-NDI) Gigabit Switch to one of the gigabit router ports. In this way I'm not using the switching of the router to facilitate the transfers of the NDI traffic, and those systems when broadcasting can easily send traffic to the router through the uplink, which is about 15Mbps from one system and 5Mbps from the other, the first going to restream.io, the second to twitch.tv.

In my opinion most consumer products especially integrated routers that feature switch ports, and even more so integrated router/modems with switching, they just don't have enough juice to sustain high Mbps traffic while efficiently routing at a high Mbps simultaneously. In your case, if you're two systems (or more) are connected to the aforementioned integrated router/switch or router/modem/switch, I believe you are just oversaturating it above it's processing limit, which is resulting in lower throughput on the main WAN interface. Any off the shelf decent gigabit switch should solve your problem, I use a simple TP-LINK TL-SG108E on my NDI segment, that then uplinks to my ASUS-RT-AC56R Router which is then uplinked on it's WAN interface to a Netgear CM-700 Cable Modem. I'm subscribed for 300MbpsDL/35MbpsUL, and I can still pull that or more while streaming with NDI active and running both streams out.

I believe if you do this, the issue of limited bandwidth to the WAN/Internet should be resolved. Unfortunately it does mean making a minor purchase ($35-$50USD), but well worth it!

tristanwc

Hi, I haven't tested it yet. Currently changing the flooring of my other place so won't be able to test until a couple weeks I guess. But when I tried the ethernet there, the speed was the same as I posted before. Also in the startmenu I see the ethernet connected is 1Gbps while at the place I'm at currently shows 100Mbps and on my streaming pc the network % gets to 100% capped at like 100Mbps. I'll try to post logs and new vods on the other place asap.

tristanwc

Here's a vod with the 1Gbps: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/183777810?t=02h24m18s. I notice the stream is a lot smoother since its not
limited, looks like it goes around the 140-160 range in terms of network usage in linked.

Here's what my network says: https://imgur.com/a/8fvTL.

And heres my internet speed: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6713310482.

Its at night, not the best results, usually I get around 700 down 800 up.
EDIT: Updated vod with newer one and PUBG

Last edited:

Osiris

Let me expand on that, it supports AMD cpus that support the SSSE3 extensions, which the Phenom's do not.

zewtastic

Pardon my ignorance, but where exactly does this get installed to? The instructions are a bit vague.

I ran the installer but it also says in the install instructions "copy the contents of the archive to the root of your OBS Studio installation folder."

What files makes up the archive, and which path is the root?

I assume the "archive" means ALL files included under the directory "NewTek"? Does that mean "newTek\new tek NDi redist\ v3"?

And is root? The plugin folder under "obs-studio\plugins\64bit"?

UPDATE:
I figured it out. needed the additional DL from the GIT hub. My bad. I just installed the Runtime. Got it working now.

And bought the app for IOS. Seeing live video from my ipad and iphone is wild.

Last edited: