Resource icon

obs-ndi - NewTek NDI™ integration into OBS Studio 4.13.0

rockbottom

Multicasting
It appears that this NDI plugin may not support multicasting. With multicast enabled 1Gb switches, and endpoint NDI decoders set to pull from a single multicast feed, the signal is still replicated in OBS. A single signal results in eating up ~700Mbps due to our multiple endpoints, and this is problematic since we are also live streaming, so had to turn down the baud to prevent dropped frames.
Can anyone confirm if it supports multicasting, and how to enable it?

Alternative NDI integration with OBS
If it does not support multicasting, is there another efficient way to integrate NDI with OBS?
We use both encoding and decoding of NDI in OBS.

Thank you

Yep, this should help

imeiul

I believe that is the way NDI is supposed to work. It will transmit as long as it is being received but when playback stops so does the transmission so bandwidth isn't being wasted on the network.
But is a dedicated output. I think that is supposed to transmit a dedicated resource constantly.

rockbottom

Doesn't matter, nothing on the receiving end, no transmission, no wasted bandwidth. Try using OBS in Studio mode, you might get lucky.

imeiul

Doesn't matter, nothing on the receiving end, no transmission, no wasted bandwidth. Try using OBS in Studio mode, you might get lucky.
I already use OBS in Studio mode. I performed more tests to try to isolate the cause of the problem and realized that it only occurs when I use the window capture source. It doesn't happen when I use the screenshot source or capture device. It is as if obs disables window capture when the scene is not active. There is an option to disable some fonts when they are not active, however there is no for window capture source.

VBR

Hello. I'm trying to use the obs-ndi plugin to transmit the capture of an application window (Zoom) from one pc to another, through a filter in the scene or in the source. While the scene is selected and consequently displayed in the preview, the transmission occurs normally, however when I select another scene, the transmission stops, freezing the image. I would like to stream the window to the second pc constantly. can anybody help me?
Add the first scene to the second scene and place it on the bottom layer. It won't show up in the preview and the Zoom stream will continue.

markw

Hi, just new to OBS and NDI,

Have got it all working well on New MacBook Pro
However - when I turn off camera shut computer - it looses the NDI Source in OBS.

I have to restart the computer - then all is working fine again.

What am I missing ?

Many thanks

Mark

Acey05

Older versions of OBS basically, before the 27 branch or when NDI was still using "Network Timing" by default. Those had the best compatibility between each other.

Jaybonaut

Older versions of OBS basically, before the 27 branch or when NDI was still using "Network Timing" by default. Those had the best compatibility between each other.
What do you use for Sync settings now, Network or Source? Does it make a diff? What about Latency mode, Normal or Low?

Acey05

Normal didn't have the Stutter or Audio "pops", and Network was the best option if both PC's aren't time synced since, as the name implies, it's using your Network to time the Sync. This is/was the best options.

However, currently Source Time with Low Latency since for a while OBS and NDI where a nightmare to run (the desync was almost instant, it constantly stuttered, had to reset my router after every stream, starting a new software would stagger the whole stream and required restarting OBS) and stuck with it for now.

I haven't tried going back because I don't know how well they will work.

You can try recording something small on the second PC for a couple of minutes, you might get lucky and it works for you perfectly.

PS: You can try Output Filters, those bypass most issues but they require extra power on your second PC and a very good Network system, otherwise OBS/NDI will disconnect your second PC from the internet constantly.

Jaybonaut

Normal didn't have the Stutter or Audio "pops", and Network was the best option if both PC's aren't time synced since, as the name implies, it's using your Network to time the Sync. This is/was the best options.

However, currently Source Time with Low Latency since for a while OBS and NDI where a nightmare to run (the desync was almost instant, it constantly stuttered, had to reset my router after every stream, starting a new software would stagger the whole stream and required restarting OBS) and stuck with it for now.

I haven't tried going back because I don't know how well they will work.

You can try recording something small on the second PC for a couple of minutes, you might get lucky and it works for you perfectly.

PS: You can try Output Filters, those bypass most issues but they require extra power on your second PC and a very good Network system, otherwise OBS/NDI will disconnect your second PC from the internet constantly.
So Network and Normal are your recommendations, even though they still stutter. When you mentioned Output Filters, are they fixing the issues you mentioned with source and low or do you mean the microstutters a person sees on Network and Normal?

Acey05

Network and Normal would be my recommendations, but I don't know how they work now or if they got fixed (tried them last time about 8 months ago).

Output Filters fix everything, but they require a strong "Network" (your router for example, or cables need to support the data being sent) and a strong PC (Filters are between 10-40% more expensive to render), because otherwise your "encoding" PC will keep on dropping the Internet Connection constantly every 30 minutes or so.

Talonis

I've now mostly replaced NDI with SRT except for the OBS NDI Out for program monitoring as I haven't found a good replacement for that yet.

Jaybonaut

Network and Normal would be my recommendations, but I don't know how they work now or if they got fixed (tried them last time about 8 months ago).

Output Filters fix everything, but they require a strong "Network" (your router for example, or cables need to support the data being sent) and a strong PC (Filters are between 10-40% more expensive to render), because otherwise your "encoding" PC will keep on dropping the Internet Connection constantly every 30 minutes or so.
Where can I get these filters you recommend?

Talonis

I've now mostly replaced NDI with SRT except for the OBS NDI Out for program monitoring as I haven't found a good replacement for that yet.

Finally, NDI replacement is complete as I've found a way to substitute the mirrored confidence monitor via HDMI and I can at last remove the NDI plugin. Handily, this has also freed up a lot of processing power.

The NDI plugin was super useful in the beginning but as the rest of the OBS software moved on and the NDI plugin didn't it certainly created more problems for me (especially the lack of NDI-HX and increasing network demands) but I very much appreciate the great amount of work the author did in bringing this plugin into existence so NDI could be used with OBS in the first place.

Cheers.

Jaybonaut

...or perhaps you can redirect me to where I can learn more about these filters?