Bug Report OBS Multiplatform refuses to start stream by 2nd try

OBS_BUG

Hello dear OBS developers,

Please see an issue with your app.

Whenever I try to Start Stream with Custom Streaming Server from the 2nd try then Multiplatform refuses to start it and always display "Connecting..." after clicking "Start streaming"

The only solution here is to Exit 0.11.4 app and Start Streaming again.

Please provide a fix for it

OBS_BUG

I have not. I can try streaming to a few different ones and post more logs. Was there anything in the log that made you suspect that?

Well, OBS seems to be receiving a reply from the streaming service that it can't make sense of:
Code:
10:39:15.500: DECODING ERROR, IGNORING BYTES UNTIL NEXT KNOWN PATTERN!
10:39:15.500: HandleInvoke, error decoding invoke packet
10:40:18.501: RTMPSockBuf_Fill, remote host closed connection
10:40:18.503: RTMP_ReadPacket, failed to read RTMP packet body. len: 4096
10:40:18.503: [rtmp stream: 'simple_stream'] Connection to rtmp://live129.us-ca.zencoder.io:1935/live failed: -3
Perhaps you can, in parallel, take this up with zencoder..

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I've never seen that error before, but it appears to be some sort of RTMP error. Highly unusual, never seen it once before in the history of OBS, wonder what on earth happened. Maybe it's related to the service you're using? live129.us-ca.zencoder.io is something I've never ever seen before. In fact, I'm betting that it's most likely the cause of the issue. Soemthing wrong with server you're connecting to, has to be.

OBS_BUG

Hi guys,

I wanted to also include that I see this message when I try to stream the second time on OBS Multiplatform using custom streaming services. "Could not access the specified channel or stream key. This could be because the key/channel is invalid, or because the server still thinks you are logged in."

I can go live the first time using custom streaming services.

Anyway, I streamed to Hitbox and Twitch using OBS Multiplatform so I'm attaching the log for both. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 2015-09-14 11-11-13.txt
    22.3 KB · Views: 15

OBS_BUG

Hey Jim, I took a while to reply so I didn't see your reply until after I posted.
I'm using Azubu and all of Azubu RTMP address has a format like that. They work perfectly fine on OBS original, whether I use Azubu plugin or use "Custom" option and input RTMP address and Stream name manually.

I'm attaching an example of having connected to this kind of server in the log below.

Attachments

• 2015-09-04-1126-07.log
    14.3 KB · Views: 21

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Well there were changes to the RTMP code, though we haven't had any reported issues with other services so it's possible I mistakenly assumed it was a server issue, if you can actually still stream with azubu on obs1 then I will have to investigate at some point. Are you able to confirm it's still working fine in one but not the other as of right now with identical settings?

OBS_BUG

Yes, I streamed twice in a row using the same service (Azubu) and same format (Custom streaming settings). I've found the issue is still relevant. Please see the logs.

Attachments

• 2015-09-14 14-55-01.txt
    19.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 2015-09-14-1223-04.log
    13.8 KB · Views: 14

mrSl33prkeepr

At least yours had started the first time, the stream won't start no matter what for me. I can click the button and then nothing happens. This is also using the 64bit platform but have also tried the 32bit and had the same issue.

Last edited:

Chris Barnett

Hi Jim, OBS Team,

I'm looking into this issue on behalf of Azubu... I'm able to reproduce the issue in a debug build of OBS Studio (Win 7 x64)... Still trying to identify the exact issue, but adding a bit of additional info..

It appears that creating a new profile before the second attempt allows the stream to start... however,subsequent attempts on a new profile also fails... It feels like starting the first stream on a profile is somehow corrupting the profile from being used in subsequent streams...

Steps to reproduce:
1. Create a New Profile
2. Add custom stream service (URL + Key)
3. Start Stream - Successfully Connect
4. Stop Stream
5. Start Stream Again - Receive Error Response
6. Create New Profile
7. Add custom stream service (URL + Key)
8 Start Stream - Successfully Connect
9. Stop Stream
5. Start Stream Again - Receive Error Response

Closing the app and restarting does not seem to resolve the issue... The profile seems to remain corrupted after shutdown and restart...

The attached log shows an attempt to stream on a corrupt profile, then a new profile creation (including what looks like a reset of the video settings), then a successful stream, followed by subsequent failure...

Jim, OBS Team,

Any pointers on where to look for issues...? I assume the issue has something to do with handling the response back from the ingest server during the second attempt...Happy to jump on the DEV IRC channel if anyone would like to help me track this down in real time...! If not will keep digging on my own...

Cheers,
Chris

Attachments

• 2015-10-26 10-15-41.txt
    19.1 KB · Views: 11

Chris Barnett

Hi Jim, OBS Team,

Digging in a bit more this afternoon, I may have been mistaken about just simply creating a new profile.. I looks like I may have been adding a new server ingest point, as well as stream key during profile creation... I suspect it was just hitting a different ingest server with a new key that allowed a new profile to work... I'll retest the scenario to confirm and report back tomorrow...

Looking at the communication from a network perspective the rtmp behavior changes for the non working stream... I've attached screenshots taken from wireshark showing a successful start and a failed start... Looks like right after the "NetConnection.Connect.Success" status message, the working broadcast moves on to the "ReleaseStream", where as the non working broadcast seems to be getting "Ping" messages from the ingest server... Perhaps this behavior might shed some light on what's going on... I'll keep digging in...

let me know if the wireshark pcap would be of any use for debugging and I can find a way to send that along..

Cheers,
Chris

Attachments

• OBS_Studio_RTMPSuccessFullStartBroadcast.PNG
    OBS_Studio_RTMPSuccessFullStartBroadcast.PNG
    473.6 KB · Views: 28
  • OBS_Studio_RTMPFailedStartBroadcast.PNG
    OBS_Studio_RTMPFailedStartBroadcast.PNG
    251.9 KB · Views: 23

Chris Barnett

Hi Jim, OBS Team,

Any update on this issue... We continue to have streamers complaining about this in our support channels... Let me know if I can provide any further information to assist debugging... I'll also see if I can find some additional time to dig back into the code from my side...

Cheers,
Chris