Bug Report OBS Multi 0.12.3 - Problems

DoubleDogg6

This is just to make devs aware of some issue that are present in the newest OBS Multi release (0.12.3)
There are multiple issue that I have found with this release, so much so I had to roll back changes. I understand this is mostly community based, but these are some issue that I have found with using the program.

The first is laggy video. I have tested multiple bit/rates and have found this is software oriented. Not for sure if it is hook or code based, but I believe it is a bit of both. The problem happens all the time. I have checked on both the default 30FPS to 60FPS and have found all have been laggy with output.

The second major problem is with times on the videos. Trying to record a video longer than 40 minutes or so (was not able to find a specific time), ends in a file that does not play in VLC. I'm not for sure if this is corruption or something else, but from what I've seen it is corruption. Trying to repair the file fails as well. This also effects .flv files. I have only tried with .mp4 and .flv files, but those are the two major files types that would be used.

Another one is using a monitor capture at any points lags the window and creates a slowdown. I am not sure if this is due to resolution or just the program itself.

I have rolled back to 0.12.2 and recommend anyone else to as well, it seems that .3 is buggy for now.
Thank you for reading, Double

MjTheHunter

I'm getting the slowdown issue as well. I've tried recording with an FPS overlay and the framerate is not dropping.
I've tried the regular CPU method as well as Nvidia NVENC and both produce same choppy results. I'm using an Intel i7-6700K and a Geforce GTX 980 TI so I assume my hardware is not the issue.
I record at 1080p 60fps and it hasn't been an issue before this release.

I will try the rollback and report back to see if it works.
Thanks

Lapppy

The first is laggy video. I have tested multiple bit/rates and have found this is software oriented. Not for sure if it is hook or code based, but I believe it is a bit of both. The problem happens all the time. I have checked on both the default 30FPS to 60FPS and have found all have been laggy with output.

Are we referring to the encoder dropping frames, or frame skipping due to bad capture?

If it is the latter, oh man do I feel your pain. That's been happening for me since long before 12.3.
Though recently I found that stability of capture is tied uncomfortably close to the refresh rate of your monitor to the nearest 0.001 Hz, and I was able to fix frame skipping on my laptop by setting my OBS capture frame rate to 60.017 fps. (60017 numerator, 1000 denominator)
I really don't think I should have to do that, but I have to in order to get a good recording.
(Keep in mind, that frame rate is specifically for my monitor/setup. If you try it, It probably won't have any effect or will make things worse.)

My other PC has similar issues, but they aren't caused by a refresh rate mismatch and I am still trying to fix those
and I don't know if those are caused by OBS or hardware.

The second major problem is with times on the videos. Trying to record a video longer than 40 minutes or so (was not able to find a specific time), ends in a file that does not play in VLC. I'm not for sure if this is corruption or something else, but from what I've seen it is corruption. Trying to repair the file fails as well. This also effects .flv files. I have only tried with .mp4 and .flv files, but those are the two major files types that would be used.
Well, I am able to record a few hours without any issues...
If I had to take a wild guess, I think that would be caused by a bad keyframe interval. I use NVENC which does not properly set the keyframe interval automatically. I have to manually set the keyframe interval to something like 5. If I don't, the video is basically impossible to edit and skip through.