Question / Help OBS in OS X 10.6 (Yes, I know it's not supported.)

JMY1000

Hi,

I'm a newbie to the streaming scene and online entertainment in general. As such, I have little to no idea as to what exactly to do. So please excuse any mistakes/bumbles/things that are just downright wrong. I may also have posted this in the wrong category, so please excuse me if I did so.

As of me creating this thread, OBS doesn't have support for Mac OS X 10.6. Unfortunately, this hits hard on me, because I can't upgrade. Not that my computer is physically incapable of doing so, but that doing so would have ill effects. Here's why: I have an early 2009 24' iMac. This is not a particularly powerful machine, even by 2009 standards. Although I have heard that optimization has limited the effects in recent versions, this is still a problem when doing higher compute level things such as gaming (right?). The second, more major reason I have, is that several pieces of software/hardware I need don't support it, including my microphones, as they are for Power PC machines, and won't run without Rosetta on Intel machines.

I unfortunately cannot yet get Bootcamp to work on my machine, so as of this point, booting into Windows and running the software there isn't really on option.

Alternatively, if anyone knows of any other broadcasting software that will run on my computer under 10.6, I would love to know about it.

I personally am not well aquatinted with programming or the ins and outs of Unix. So I would be happy to recompile/rewrite the code (if that's an option) for my machine, but I have no idea how to do so.

Any help/criticism is appreciated. If you'd like more info, I'll be happy to provide it.

Thanks

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
If you don't have a particularly powerful machine, then even if you somehow got 10.9 running, it would not stream well at all.

JMY1000

If you don't have a particularly powerful machine, then even if you somehow got 10.9 running, it would not stream well at all.

The idea I had would be to run at a reduced resolution and minimum settings. Performace-wise, I don't want to go any lower then I have to, so using a more minimal operating system would be better.