Question / Help OBS Disconnecting Me From My Internet Entirely

fj49

First and foremost, I stream only on Twitch. I've been using OBS for a while and only recently have I started getting issues where the internet would randomly disconnect during my stream, not just obs, but the game I'm playing also stops receiving packets. I tried many ways to test how it happened, and found that if i don't stop the stream, the internet disconnect persists, however if i stop streaming, the internet is back up.

I've tried many settings such as these.

- 720p 30fps 2000bitrate
- 720p 30fps 3500bitrate
- 720p 60fps 3500bitrate
- 1080p 60fps 3500bitrate (useless, just for tests)

They all have the same problem, where out of the blue, the internet completely disconnect from the computer and only fixed when i stop stream. Because I play mostly online games, the fact that my internet disconnects really makes it hard to play at all.

I also checked to make sure my firewall allows and it does, public and private.
3f95b419c401957949a8b6452ac47188.png

Internet Download and Upload:

6213e38e57f9fbfe06a6c657ceacf9e5.png

9aafe4458027a92e5b1d246412dae51f.png

456e9b7e9914212e63700c7ee851f8de.png

SumDim

Any other devices on your home network that could be causing problems? Like people at your home using other devices taking up bandwidth or outsiders who cracked in? I would check that by bringing up the router admin console and look at the devices connected to see if anything looks abnormal. Most likely you are using DHCP and there will be a list.

How about the router? Is it on Comcast's approved router list? Connectors good? No worn cables that looked frayed or damaged? Sometimes it can be noise on the line. Maybe get a Comcast tech guy out there to do some testing?

Could there be hardware connected to your computer that is connecting/disconnecting in a flakey like fashion? Like a faulty web camera or USB device causing problems to break the persistent connection?

What do the OBS logs file say? Did you check them to see if there are any problems being logged?

What background applications are running at the same time? Bring up task manager and watch what is sending/receiving over your Ethernet line. Should pretty much be OBS, your game, and browser. If you have too many browser windows or tabs up, close them down.

How about a faulty network switch or hub on the network. Could they be causing the problem? Using high quality Cat 5e/6 cabling and they don't look damaged on connectors or the line?

With the OBS stats window up, watch the bitrate. Does it swing wildly in huge variables?

Just thinking out loud.

fj49

Any other devices on your home network that could be causing problems? Like people at your home using other devices taking up bandwidth or outsiders who cracked in? I would check that by bringing up the router admin console and look at the devices connected to see if anything looks abnormal. Most likely you are using DHCP and there will be a list.

How about the router? Is it on Comcast's approved router list? Connectors good? No worn cables that looked frayed or damaged? Sometimes it can be noise on the line. Maybe get a Comcast tech guy out there to do some testing?

Could there be hardware connected to your computer that is connecting/disconnecting in a flakey like fashion? Like a faulty web camera or USB device causing problems to break the persistent connection?

What do the OBS logs file say? Did you check them to see if there are any problems being logged?

What background applications are running at the same time? Bring up task manager and watch what is sending/receiving over your Ethernet line. Should pretty much be OBS, your game, and browser. If you have too many browser windows or tabs up, close them down.

How about a faulty network switch or hub on the network. Could they be causing the problem? Using high quality Cat 5e/6 cabling and they don't look damaged on connectors or the line?

With the OBS stats window up, watch the bitrate. Does it swing wildly in huge variables?

Just thinking out loud.

I think I can safely say that when I'm not streaming, it is rare for me to disconnect from the game i'm playing, but I'll answer the question one at a time, if anything sounds suspicious, please let me know.

Any other devices on your home network that could be causing problems?
I just checked again to make sure and it's only these 4 devices connected at times when I stream. (late nights)
- My iPhone (Wi-Fi), Desktop (Ethernet CAT6 wire), Laptop (Wi-Fi), TV (Ethernet CAT5 wire)
otherwise no, the 4 devices are connected and don't really interfere.

Like people at your home using other devices taking up bandwidth or outsiders who cracked in?
Unlikely, people who do use this connection (only two additional device, a laptop and a iPhone) doesn't use at this time of night (1:23PM EST)

The router/modem (xfinity XB6) was actually rented from xfinity themselves.The connection is good. No warn cables since they're all replaced a while back. I did have a Comcast technician check, but they didn't find any problem and said my connection is stable.

Besides the obvious, my monitor, my keyboard (k95 plat), mouse (g900 chaos spectrum), and mic (blue yeti), nothing else is connected to the computer.

I'm not entirely sure how to check OBS logs file.

When I stream the game that I play, I only have four applications running: Google Chrome, Spotify, OBS, and Discord.
- Google Chrome only have one tab open, and it's the Twitch streamer dashboard.
- Spotify for music.
- OBS for streaming.
- Discord for voice communication.

How about a faulty network switch or hub on the network. Could they be causing the problem?
I'm not sure what those are.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Probably a shitty combo modem/router, especially if you're renting it. I strongly recommend buying your own modem and router for stable connectivity.

fj49

Probably a shitty combo modem/router, especially if you're renting it. I strongly recommend buying your own modem and router for stable connectivity.

Unfortunately, xfinity do not allow personal modems/router for their gigabit services. Welp :(

Here's the funny thing, even if i contacted my ISP, what would i ask them? I can't just be like hey, my stream is disconnecting, can you help me troubleshoot this?

Last edited:

Narcogen

This thread is 2 years old and applies to a version of OBS that is four major versions behind the current one. I'd suggest making a new thread and posting a log with a description of your issue.

rafalfaro

Hi I fixed it by setting up static ip and DNS addresses in my streaming PC. Apparently some crazy configuration in my setup with 2 network interfaces creates a conflict and disconnects me from the internet. In essence I use 2 network interfaces I game with the ethernet interface but I send OBS's traffic via Wifi to another computer (this is private traffic via Wifi) and at some point when I start streaming for some reason created a conflict. I was trying to do a crazy setup:

1 - Streaming PC with OBS (Set up static ip address and DNS first DNS is gateway, second and third DNS use google's ).
2 - Streaming PC is connected via Ethernet to "unlimited download network that doesn't have great upload speed".
3 - Streaming PC is connected via wifi adapter to a seconday network which is the mobile hotspot of a phone with awesome upload speed because of LTE and "unlimited upload data".
4 - Streaming PC runs OBS and in the preferences advanced network is set up to bind to a specific adapter (whi is the wifi adapter that's connected to the hotspot)
5 - Because windows gives priority to ethernet you will only use the network that you're plugged in via ethernet to download.
6 - Connect another computer to the hostspot, make sure it doesn't anything open that will cost you download traffic.
7 - Connect start a restream docker container in that computer: https://github.com/rafalfaro18/self-hosted-restream
8 - Point the OBS of the first computer to stream not to twitch directly, but instead a custom ip and port and point it to the ip of the second computer (your streaming computer can reach it via the wifi adapter instead of ethernet). And use the port 1935 example: rtmp://192.168.43.110:1935/stream
9 - Stream (Here's where I was losing internet connection) until I implemented static ip address and DNS to the streaming PC.