Bug Report OBS crashing on every startup (Fatal Python error)

matt150

This is with a fresh install, too - after it happened, I deleted both the OBS app and the obs-studio folders from the Application Support folders (in username/Library/ and Macintosh HD/Library/) and reinstalled using the Mac installer currently on the website, but to no avail. Help would be much appreciated!

Crash log: https://pastebin.com/hFCeHQBA

(Edit: see later posts in this thread for the python part)

Last edited:

kaiservongrauer

Has OBS ever run on this Mac or is this the very first time you've tried installing and running it?

Have you tried rebooting and then try starting OBS?

If it won't run after rebooting, you could try rebooting your Mac into Safe Mode and attempt to run OBS while in Safe Mode.

matt150

Very first time. Tried rebooting in normal and safe mode, nothing works - same "abort() called" error message. Same issue with version 22.0.1.

matt150

Seems to crash when and only when the "LicenseAccepted" field of global.ini is on the "true" setting. If I start the program with this as true, it crashes immediately; if I manually change it to false before opening, it pops up the License agreement and crashes as soon as I accept it.

Here's the end of the log file (from the obs-studio folder), in case how far it got is of any help:

11:40:34.052: Initializing OpenGL...
11:40:34.088: Loading up OpenGL on adapter Intel Inc. Intel HD Graphics 5000 OpenGL Engine
11:40:34.088: OpenGL loaded successfully, version 4.1 INTEL-12.4.7, shading language 4.10
11:40:34.169: ---------------------------------
11:40:34.170: video settings reset:
11:40:34.170: base resolution: 1440x900
11:40:34.170: output resolution: 1152x720
11:40:34.170: downscale filter: Bicubic
11:40:34.170: fps: 30/1
11:40:34.170: format: NV12
11:40:34.170: YUV mode: 601/Partial
11:40:34.172: Audio monitoring device:
11:40:34.172: name: Default
11:40:34.172: id: default
11:40:34.173: ---------------------------------

Last edited:

matt150

Aha, it may have something to do with python! When I double-click OBS.app/Contents/MacOS/OBS, at the end of the output is this:

Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: unable to load the file system codec
LookupError: no codec search functions registered: can't find encoding
Current thread 0x0000000103db85c0 (most recent call first):
Abort trap: 6

This is an error I've seen before when running a number of python 3 related programs - specifically python3, pip3, and python3-32. I was able to fix each one by reinstalling the program. However, reinstalling OBS hasn't fixed it.

Any ideas what python executables/packages/dependencies OBS uses on startup, so I can try reinstalling them as well?

Last edited:

matt150

StackOverflow posts about this error (and perhaps this part of the OBS source code?) suggest it may have something to do with the environment variables PYTHONPATH or PYTHONHOME, both of which are unset on my machine. But that's in line with what the posts recommend, so I don't think they're the problem.

Also running "which python" prints "/usr/bin/python" (which corresponds to python 2.7.10), and "which python3" prints "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/bin/python3" (3.7.2).

Last edited:

matt150

Another possibility is that it has something to do with conflicting class implementations between brew-installed qt and the QtCore file in OBS.app/Contents/Resources/. When I double-click obs from within OBS.app/Contents/Resources/bin/, I get the following: https://pastebin.com/NWaKuecL (EDIT: I ran brew uninstall qt and OBS still crashes - instead, double-clicking obs from inside bin/ pops up an alert window saying "Failed to find locale/en-us.ini" followed by "Failed to load locale".)

Last edited: