Question / Help OBS closes immediately - Ubuntu 14.04LTS

zalloy

I'm hoping someone here might be able to help with this one. I installed OBS, and every time I go to start the program, it starts for a split second, and then closes. I'm not able to use the program at all. I made sure that I installed ffmpeg, and I have Pulseaudio installed as well. I even tried re-installing OBS, but still no joy.

Anyone got any advice on how I can get this to work? Thanks in advance.

zalloy

Where might I find the log file? I looked around, but I'm not finding anything that looks like it, and the program doesn't stay open long enough for me to get it from there.

zalloy

Nevermind, I've found it now:

Code:
12:34:59 PM: OBS 0.9.1 (linux)
12:34:59 PM: Processor: 2 logical cores
12:34:59 PM: Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X2 521 Processor
12:34:59 PM: Physical Memory: 11765MB Total
12:34:59 PM: Kernel Version: Linux 3.13.0-49-generic
12:34:59 PM: Distribution: "Ubuntu" "14.04"
12:34:59 PM: audio settings reset:
    samples per sec: 44100
    speakers:        2
    buffering (ms):  1000

12:34:59 PM: X and Y: 902 489
Backbuffers: 2
Color Format: 3
ZStencil Format: 0
Adapter: 0

12:35:00 PM: Failed to create OpenGL context.
12:35:00 PM: Failed to create context!

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Are your GPU drivers up to date? It's possible your GPU doesn't support OpenGL 3.2, which is required.

zalloy

I looked in System Information, and found that I have Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS880. Looking further into it, I found this thread: https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/bug-report.24608/

I ran the "glxinfo | grep OpenGL" command, and it gave the following output:
Code:
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS880
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.1.3
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 1.40
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL extensions:

So from that, I'm gathering that maybe my GPU doesn't support OpenGL 3.2. It is a weird error though, because I am able to boot the same system into Windows 7 and use OBS under that OS. It's just kind of inconvenient to reboot to Windows to record a short screencast. Maybe I'll have to invest in a new GPU...

WayZHC

It works on Windows because your card supports Directx 10. OBS uses Directx 10 on Windows. But your card don't seem to support OpenGL 3.2 which is required for Linux version.

RS880 seems to use the same chip as Mobility Radeon HD 4200 series GPUs. So it supports only OpenGL 2.0.

Kinda unlucky because all the rest of Radeon HD 4000 series (desktop and mobile) GPUs do support OpenGL 3.3. But HD 4200 series don't have the support.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
If it supports directx 10 then it should support OpenGL 3.2, he just needs to update his mesa drivers, I'm betting those are really old mesa drivers.