Question / Help OBS and XSplit both fail to stream to Twitch [resolved]

marsrobin

Hi there,

I'm not sure if the problem is with OBS or with my Twitch account, but I'm a newb to this and would really love some help.

I created an account on Twitch today, generated a key, installed OBS, and setup the key to stream to Twitch. When I preview my stream, it looks fine, and when I activate my stream it shows a green light with 2000/kbps. It says encoding is slow, but it doesn't show any dropped frames.

The main problem is, the stream never appears on Twitch. When I go to my channel, I can see that Twitch is reacting to the activation of my stream, because it says "Live" for one second and says "loading video", but the video never loads (even for a second) and it just says "Offline". But it does have that reaction every time I activate the stream.

I'm using Windows 7 Professional and a pretty powerful computer, solid internet connection. I've tried resetting my Twitch key like ten times. No luck there. I've also tried designating a "Game" as the source, or just my Monitor in general. Also, I installed Xsplit and that didn't work either. Same result!

Any ideas? Very grateful for any help!

marsrobin

Re: OBS and XSplit both fail to stream to Twitch

Also, attached is a log file. I ran this and the only thing I could see was to disable Aero, but that didn't fix it either.

Attachments

• 2013-10-25-1514-31.log
    15.4 KB · Views: 527

alpinlol

are you series? 1200p 30 fps with an c2d e8400??? your cpu would probably even die with streaming 360p

marsrobin

My computer always seems fast to me...it doesn't slow down when I play games or run multiple applications or watch high definition video. So I have no idea.

But is there some way to get the stream to work or are you saying it's impossible with my CPU?

I don't know how to change the 1200p setting down to 360p...where do I do that?

Nirrudn

marsrobin said:
I don't know how to change the 1200p setting down to 360p...where do I do that?

Settings -> Video -> Resolution Downscale. You're also likely going to have to do into the Advanced settings and go to superfast or even ultrafast for your preset if you really want to stream on a dual core CPU, although it also depends on what games you're playing. You can also lower your bitrate if desired, as at 360p 2000 bitrate is overkill.

marsrobin

Thank you...okay, I switched down to 3.00 and FPS to 5 and CPU Preset to superfast...but it still doesn't help my stream to appear on Twitch.

Is this the normal consequence of an underpowered CPU, that a stream won't even appear?

Nirrudn

marsrobin said:
Thank you...okay, I switched down to 3.00 and FPS to 5 and CPU Preset to superfast...but it still doesn't help my stream to appear on Twitch.

Is this the normal consequence of an underpowered CPU, that a stream won't even appear?

It should at least be showing up if the preview is okay and you have the green light in the bottom of the OBS window. Are you trying to view your stream on mobile, perhaps?

marsrobin

The preview is fine, and completely responsive, and when I click "Start streaming" it shows up fine and the light is green, displaying a successful upload rate of 5000+kpbs. My channel on Twitch still just says "Loading video" and then a few seconds later says "Offline".

If there's a setting somewhere that designates streaming to mobile, I don't know where that is, and I haven't done that deliberately. I'm checking my channel on my laptop PC, not on mobile.

I wonder what the problem is.

FerretBomb

Drop your bitrate to 2000. Anything over 3500 will cause problems on Twitch's end, and 2000 is the maximum recommended for non-partnered streamers. I'd expect that you're choking the ingest server with a 5000kbps upstream rate.
Also, please post a log file from a livestreaming attempt. There's a sticky at the top of the forum explaining where they're kept.

If you aren't in compliance with the Twitch ingest requirements (CBR, keyframe interval of 2, a few other requirements) your stream will be flagged as 'incompatible' and will not be replicated/available on the website. The log file should tell us if something like that is happening.

marsrobin

Ahh! It's working now. I have no idea why. I set it back down to 2000 bitrate, but I had it there before most of the time I was trying to get it to work. Now it works at all the different quality settings, although it definitely can't keep up at all with 1920 x 1200, so I set it down to like 1068 x 800 or whatever and it seems to be OK.

No clue why it's working now, but maybe Twitch did something to validate my stream since I had just registered only a few minutes before I was trying to stream.