Question / Help NVIDIA Laptop Black Screen... yeah yeah, I know.

Axiom

I have went through the thread on nvidia. I went into my control panel and did both switching to "High Performance" under the Global Tab as well as adding obs64 "High Performance" to the drop down list.... and still a black screen.

But I am not giving up! Maybe because I have rocks in my head, but ah well.

Here is the log file: https://obsproject.com/logs/zNHrFoPJD69w8iD4

Here are some system specs:

Name NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C8D&SUBSYS_07BE1028&REV_A1\4&C4DAE15&0&0008
Adapter Type GeForce GTX 1050, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
Adapter RAM (1,048,576) bytes

Maybe I have some system settings wrong? I dont know, but there has to be a way to do this on a laptop.
Thanks for all of your help!

Harold

Your log shows no attempt to capture whatever game you were trying to capture. We'd need such a log to be able to answer how hard it will be to set up.

Axiom

Hmm I started OBS... Started the game... windowshaded the game, to start OBS, played the game for a minute then shut it down to see what happened.

Let me try it again to see if the log works this time around.

Axiom

So what am i doing wrong? I run OBS with game capture, start the game, and start recording. What step am i missing?

Narcogen

I think you're grabbing the wrong logs, or else you're not stopping your record attempt before uploading the log.

Osiris

Doesn't look like you configured game capture to actually capture that game.
Also you should have grabbed current logfile, not last logfile.

Narcogen

06:47:14.511: Output 'adv_file_output': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 1269 (17.3%)

GPU overload.

Also, use CQP rate control with NVENC for recording. Pick a value that gives you good balance of quality and file size, probably between 14 (high quality) and 23 (lower quality). CBR is mainly for streaming.

Narcogen

07:58:25.298: Windows 10 Gaming Features:
07:58:25.298: Game Bar: On
07:58:25.298: Game DVR: On

Those won't help.

07:58:28.874: - scene 'Scene':
07:58:28.874: - source: 'Game Capture' (game_capture)

That looks like you've added a game capture source, but not configured it for the game you want to capture. There should be an entry that shows an attempt to hook a process, and a report on whether it succeeds or fails, but there's nothing there.

Axiom

Okay I am not sure what,
"07:58:25.298: Windows 10 Gaming Features:
07:58:25.298: Game Bar: On
07:58:25.298: Game DVR: On "
is. Should I get rid of them? If so, how?

I included a screenshot of my 'Game Capture' settings. I am not sure what I need to change though.

Attachments

• GAME CAPTURE.png
    GAME CAPTURE.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 115

Axiom

OMG you guys are awesome! I actually see something!

Now I need to find out how to make it full screen. I can change it under the video tab... but does that mean for every game that uses a different resolution, I will need to reset it?

Attachments

• GAME CAPTURE.png
    GAME CAPTURE.png
    505.7 KB · Views: 90

Narcogen

You can right click the source and transform it to scale it up to fit.

You can also create a Profile with a collection of settings appropriate for a given game-- for instance there's little reason to set a Canvas resolution larger than the actual output resolution of your game if you're running an old game or an emulator.