Question / Help NVENC H.264 | NOT WORKING

MegaMadness

I use Windows 7 with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 graphics card. So I don't understand why it doesn't work. When I select it and start recording it says:

Starting the output failed. Please check the log for details.
Note: If you are using the NVENC or AMD encoders, make sure your video drivers are up to date.

I checked and my video drivers are up to date, I checked the log and it just says;
[NVENC encoder: 'recording_h264'] Failed to open NVENC codec: Unknown error occurred

I will attach the log file if needed. Any help would be highly appreciated!

Attachments

• 2017-10-30 21-22-45.txt
    6.1 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:

trovarion

I was using NVENC code just fine and today I udated to the last version (20.1.1) of OBS Studio and I get the same error...

Pontus J

Same here.. hehe.. I tried it out yesterday, noticed that it worked perfectly. Decided to stream later that evening (0:30am) and that's when it game me the exact same message as you guys.. Bummer xD

Anyone has a solution? :)

Pontus J

This is kind of wierd but I fixed it for me. Headed over to https://www.geforce.com/drivers and instead of downloading your own video cards driver manualy (which I tried before I wrote my first post) you should try the automatic download because of the small files that are missing in the manual driver.

So:
1. Head over to https://www.geforce.com/drivers
2. Download "Automatic Driver Updates" (this installation downloads all the new drivers, which is wierd but it works)
3. Restart Computer (just to make sure)
4. Launch OBS and try NVENC again

This worked for me, hope it helped someone!

Pontus J

Update 3...

After doing what I did in my last post I started streaming and I found out that it was the GPU setting that was the fault of my error. If you have set a number that is greater than 0 then it will not work (no idée why and this must have been changed as of today because I had it on higher than 0 yesterday).

tgudge

I was having this issue for a while (I know it's been nearly 2 years but...)
Try turning off Shadowplay Instant Replay if it is enabled.
That fixed it for me!

Hope it helped

ZiltoidRacer

ever since the latest update for OBS studio i have had the problem that i cannot now record when streaming like i could before this.
one thing new i noticed was that OBS studio on opening started Geforce experience up which it never did before the update. after trying a few things like useing the new NVENC encoder and the older one and neither would record while streaming saying drivers may not be upto date, i checked nvidea drivers and they were upto date.

next i tried x264 and i could stream and record fine so now i knew it was definately a nvidea problem so i jumped right in and uninstalled Geforce experience and bingo! streaming and recording work with the new and older NVENC encoders.

so i guess the new update adds a conflict between encoders / programs....

ps: i too have the GTX 960 but on win 10

Last edited: