Question / Help My OBS multicam set up....looking for optimal usage

@criticalmissfits

Hey all.....My set up is as follows....
Nhttps://obsproject.com/logs/SU6ZrgB7DmjbJ4vA
Macbook Pro with 3 logitech 1080p web cams running into 3 separate OBS browsers (Im able to have these open through a Terminal workaround).
My MBPro has 4 USBc inputs but I run the cams into the mac via USBc------> USB3 hub. We've been recording audio with a Blue Yeti Pro into garage band.

My main concerns are having the video turn out smooth and not laggy. Any input or advice would be much appreciated :)

Narcogen

Hard to advise since I can't really figure out what you're trying to do just from that log. If you want smooth and not laggy, though, I'm pretty sure no solution is going to involve simultaneously running three instances of OBS, so the idea would be to figure out why you're doing that and find a way to achieve what you want without it.

@criticalmissfits

Hard to advise since I can't really figure out what you're trying to do just from that log. If you want smooth and not laggy, though, I'm pretty sure no solution is going to involve simultaneously running three instances of OBS, so the idea would be to figure out why you're doing that and find a way to achieve what you want without it.
In short, we're recording our D&D game, editing, then YouTube and the like.

Harold

If you're recording each camera individually in a clean-feed situation for this, OBS is not the right tool for the job.

Narcogen

Okay. So you're not trying to do a live-to-tape thing where you're switching cameras on the fly, then? Because you *could* do that, and then you would not need multiple instances.

2nd option: Everybody records themselves, and you aggregate footage afterwards. Can be a pain, but I've done it, and the results can be good.

3rd option, experimental: Make your canvas size large enough to accommodate four cameras and record all in a single canvas, then in editing, use crops to pick which angle you want.