Minimize Network Impact Seems Doesn't Work

khanjui

Today I saw this in changelog:

Added a "low latency mode" option to advanced settings which minimizes network impact caused to other programs on the computer (same as "Minimize network impact" in classic). The new network code must be enabled to use

And I tried but seems it's not working. My ping is still not stable. I haven't got any problems with exact same settings on OBS Classic.

OBS Classic settings:

c1116cb3bd.png

95abbfc1c7.png

e6b90da627.png
fb3ab35265.png

Sample video with OBS Classic: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/125369250
Log: https://gist.github.com/fb96c1d74abdc1385f3c841f1c7f54ed

OBS Studio settings:

57d95b6526.png

1aece99a04.png

533a696af5.png

4816f62c0c.png

651d75770c.png

67e03e41f8.png

Sample video with OBS Studio: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/125370116
Log: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/77153eed4f8a352c8a27d13d23259dd2

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
You seem to be using wifi, there are no guarantees things will work properly over a contended medium.

c3r1c3

Also do keep in mind that Studio is more accurate about reporting dropped frames then Classic, so you can't do a 1:1 comparison of the 'dropped frames' count.

khanjui

Also do keep in mind that Studio is more accurate about reporting dropped frames then Classic, so you can't do a 1:1 comparison of the 'dropped frames' count.
I almost haven't got any drops with 1800 bitrate, 48 FPS, 1280 x 720 while using OBS Classic with minimize network impact and automatic low latency. But my ping is not stable with OBS Studio even with minimize network impact. That's my problem.

Bensam123

OBS Studio's implementation doesn't seem to be completely correct yet. I posted in my own thread about the same thing. It causes oscillations. Mine eventually disappear, but then it starts oscillating up and own again.

Apparently there is a bug in studio that they're fixing, haven't seen a new version yet though, so I haven't tested it.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
18.0.1 was released today with several fixes for the new networking code. Please let us know how it performs.

khanjui

18.0.1 was released today with several fixes for the new networking code. Please let us know how it performs.
Latest update is better, but still not perfect. My ping is around 80-90 with 18.0.1, 90-130 with 18.0. My ping is stable 80 with OBS Classic. I think it should be more agressive.

Last edited:

Bensam123

For me the new update seems to be worse then the last. Turning it on doesn't seem to do anything for me anymore, compared to partially fixing the issue before in 18. Now every 5-10secs on I get a 20-60ms spike. It's pretty much the same as not having it enabled (or new networking code).

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
The changes were made with extensive I/O analysis. Keep in mind you need to be streaming to a nearby server to benefit from low latency mode.

Without low latency:
TlsE3V3.png

With low latency:
0ntVGeK.png

The graphs show that low latency mode keeps the outbound bitrate much more constant than without it.

khanjui

The changes were made with extensive I/O analysis. Keep in mind you need to be streaming to a nearby server to benefit from low latency mode.

Without low latency:
TlsE3V3.png

With low latency:
0ntVGeK.png

The graphs show that low latency mode keeps the outbound bitrate much more constant than without it.
I'm streaming to Twitch.tv's Frankfurt server which is closest to me (70 ms). I'm using exactly same settings on OBS Classic and OBS Studio like I said and showed before. 18.0.1 is better than 18.0, I admit it. Please kindly check out these videos I just recorded. My ping is not stable on OBS Studio while it's stable on OBS Classic. Maybe that's because of latency tuning factor? I really want to use OBS Studio because of CoreAudio AAC encoder and fixed/updated Lanczos filter. Let me know if I can help in any way.

OBS Classic v0.659b: http://www.twitch.tv/videos/127322565

OBS Studio 18.0.1: http://www.twitch.tv/videos/127324040

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
What latency tuning factor did you use in Classic? I didn't bother copying that option as I felt very few people ever changed it.

Bensam123

I also used automatic low latency mode (not tuning though) in addition to minimize network impact in classic. I stream to Chicago which is 60ms to me (most Chicago servers are ~30ms normally).

Also using the same settings in Studio as in Classic. Classic almost doesn't move my ping at all with automatic low latency mode and minimize network impact on. It increases my ping by about 3ms~ consistently (there are no spikes).

As per my original thread I made, even though CBR is enabled in both classic and studio, classic bitrate varies between about 3900-4200 (my bitrate is set to about 4100 including audio). In studio same settings, but it fluctuates wildly between 3000-3900. It never really hits the bitrate I specify. Setting the bitrate higher in studio doesn't seem to actually do anything, where as classic will attempt to hit the bitrate I specified (even if it yields undesirable network conditions and/or dropped frames).

I have a 6Mbps upstream as well, but my internet doesn't have bonded upstreams (Charter), which is why I probably have these issues.

Have you also looked at classics impact comparatively to studio as far as pings go with minimize network impact and automatic low latency on or just studio?

khanjui

I also used automatic low latency mode (not tuning though) in addition to minimize network impact in classic. I stream to Chicago which is 60ms to me (most Chicago servers are ~30ms normally).

Also using the same settings in Studio as in Classic. Classic almost doesn't move my ping at all with automatic low latency mode and minimize network impact on. It increases my ping by about 3ms~ consistently (there are no spikes).

As per my original thread I made, even though CBR is enabled in both classic and studio, classic bitrate varies between about 3900-4200 (my bitrate is set to about 4100 including audio). In studio same settings, but it fluctuates wildly between 3000-3900. It never really hits the bitrate I specify. Setting the bitrate higher in studio doesn't seem to actually do anything, where as classic will attempt to hit the bitrate I specified (even if it yields undesirable network conditions and/or dropped frames).

I have a 6Mbps upstream as well, but my internet doesn't have bonded upstreams (Charter), which is why I probably have these issues.

Have you also looked at classics impact comparatively to studio as far as pings go with minimize network impact and automatic low latency on or just studio?
I can't comment on bitrate waves but we have the same ping spike problem on Studio while we haven't on Classic.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
It's default which is 20.
The code from classic was pretty much directly ported to Studio. I even copied the default of 20 for the tuning factor - as far as I can tell, the low latency / minimize network impact code is pretty much identical between the two at this point. I'll run some further tests but I'm not sure what else to really try to optimize at this point.

khanjui

The code from classic was pretty much directly ported to Studio. I even copied the default of 20 for the tuning factor - as far as I can tell, the low latency / minimize network impact code is pretty much identical between the two at this point. I'll run some further tests but I'm not sure what else to really try to optimize at this point.
Any news?