MIDIControl - Control OBS, Soundboard, Twitch chat with MIDI Devices

Free MIDIControl - Control OBS, Soundboard, Twitch chat with MIDI Devices 2.0.1.0

Aural

MidiControl is great but I have experience one minor issue. It will connect with my usb midi device if it is set to start on system boot up. I have created a batch file with a small delay and placed it in the startup folder to get this working on boot.

On a separate note, a great feature would be the ability to toggle, show/hide filters! This would allow for on-the-fly voice effects with vst filters.

johnswenson1

I just installed MIDIControl, latest version (1.2.2.3). When installing I tried to run the .NET installer but it said I already had .NET installed (Windows 10 1909) I checked regedit and I have 4.8.03752. When I run the program the only thing that happens is a popup about turning on notifications, that's it. The description shows some windows coming up that let you configure things like what happens when a MIDI event comes across, but I never see that. I'm using rtpMIDI and have obs websocket 4.8 installed.

I checked the AppData directory and there are no files for MIDIControl.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Do I have to do some configuration in a file before the GUI comes up?

Thanks,
John S.

Etuldan

I just installed MIDIControl, latest version (1.2.2.3). When installing I tried to run the .NET installer but it said I already had .NET installed (Windows 10 1909) I checked regedit and I have 4.8.03752. When I run the program the only thing that happens is a popup about turning on notifications, that's it. The description shows some windows coming up that let you configure things like what happens when a MIDI event comes across, but I never see that. I'm using rtpMIDI and have obs websocket 4.8 installed.

I checked the AppData directory and there are no files for MIDIControl.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Do I have to do some configuration in a file before the GUI comes up?

Thanks,
John S.
The GUI should comes up without prior configuration. Double check in the systray that MIDIControl isn't running. Also, check on TaskManager

Etuldan

MidiControl is great but I have experience one minor issue. It will connect with my usb midi device if it is set to start on system boot up. I have created a batch file with a small delay and placed it in the startup folder to get this working on boot.

On a separate note, a great feature would be the ability to toggle, show/hide filters! This would allow for on-the-fly voice effects with vst filters.
ATM, MIDIControl connect only MIDI interface that are ready when the software starts.

johnswenson1

The GUI should comes up without prior configuration. Double check in the systray that MIDIControl isn't running. Also, check on TaskManager
I did finally get it to work. The task manager does not show it. First run MIDIControl, then run the Task View from the taskbar, this shows a black rectangle for MIDIControl, click on that and then the GUI shows up.

But I still can't get it to work. When I click on Add and give it a name it shows the rtpMIDI device, with a channel 1 and note 64. But I can't change any of those values. After a save I do another Add, but this time there is nothing in the device, channel or note field and I can't change anything.

I do get a notification that it is connecting to the websocket so it looks like that is working. I also checked the ignore list and there is nothing in the list.

I have used midiOX on both computers and the midi events are going between computers fine over rtpMIDI.

Getting further but not working yet.

Thanks,

John S.

johnswenson1

I did finally get it to work. The task manager does not show it. First run MIDIControl, then run the Task View from the taskbar, this shows a black rectangle for MIDIControl, click on that and then the GUI shows up.

But I still can't get it to work. When I click on Add and give it a name it shows the rtpMIDI device, with a channel 1 and note 64. But I can't change any of those values. After a save I do another Add, but this time there is nothing in the device, channel or note field and I can't change anything.

I do get a notification that it is connecting to the websocket so it looks like that is working. I also checked the ignore list and there is nothing in the list.

I have used midiOX on both computers and the midi events are going between computers fine over rtpMIDI.

Getting further but not working yet.

Thanks,

John S.
OK I figured it out. You send a MIDI note while the Add window is up and that sets the values. With that it actually seems to work! There was a bit of a problem in that midiOX and ProPresenter 7 have different octaves for the same note value, that kind of confused me for awhile.

So in summary, when starting up MIDIControl it does NOT bring up the GUI, but it IS running in the background and connects to OBS websocket if you have set the option to automatically connect at startup. In order to start the GUI I have to click on the Task Viewer in the taskbar.

For startup I have a simple script that starts up OBS waits a couple seconds then starts MIDIControl. OBS now responds to MIDI notes from PP7. rtpMIDI automatically loads at boot and automatically connects to the rtpMIDI running on the other computer.

It all is working well now.

Etuldan

A systray icon should appear on MIDIControl startup. If you clic/double-clic on it, the main window should appear.

Tony_PJs

Works really well, but I feel like its missing a feature... There should be a way to bind a MIDI key to stop all sounds instead of having to tab out of your game and click the "Stop All Sounds" button on the GUI

zonfar

How do I get this to connect to OBS? I have OBS open, and MIDI Control open, but when I click "Connect to OBS" nothing happens. I'm not sure if I need to set some sort of setting within OBS?

zonfar

update, I got it working. Didn't know where was a websocket plugin that was needed. now off to having fun setting this up. thank you for making this! :)

edit: I'm not sure if there is a way to stop a sound that is playing, but having an option to stop a single sound, or all sounds assigned to a key would be great as well.

For example if I press a midi key to activate some background music, but then at some point want the music to stop, I could either press the same midi key that I pressed to activate it to instead stop it, or just having a master midi key that stops all sound effects being played would work too.

An ability to smoothly transition the audio track down would be cool too, not that I expect you to add any of it, but they would be awesome features! :)

Last edited:

Etuldan

update, I got it working. Didn't know where was a websocket plugin that was needed. now off to having fun setting this up. thank you for making this! :)

edit: I'm not sure if there is a way to stop a sound that is playing, but having an option to stop a single sound, or all sounds assigned to a key would be great as well.

For example if I press a midi key to activate some background music, but then at some point want the music to stop, I could either press the same midi key that I pressed to activate it to instead stop it, or just having a master midi key that stops all sound effects being played would work too.

An ability to smoothly transition the audio track down would be cool too, not that I expect you to add any of it, but they would be awesome features! :)
Depends on the MIDI device you use, but you can configure MIDIControl to stop sound on release of the Key. If it's a software midi device, some of them can be configured as "Toggle keys", so 1rst hit is NoteOn, 2nd hit is NoteOff. With a such device, it should be OK.
Otherwise, I'll try to at least bind the "Stop all sound" to a MIDI Event, as suggested also by Tony_PJs

proud2bebald

Thanks for making this, I actually was considering making something similar in the same way (using obs-websocket to control OBS instead of bothering with an OBS plugin).

Is there any way to control the MIDI feedback? I'd like to be able to configure the lights on my device. Maybe even just a way to send arbitrary midi feedback commands on a button press.

Possibly a bug in the latest version, in that OBS is now ignoring any transition changes that are sent. I don't know if this is since I updated to the latest version or not unfortunately, as I haven't opened it up in a while. Will let you know if I ascertain any more.