Question / Help Microphone background noise

CritVV

I just bought a new headset, the Sennheiser G4ME Zero and I noticed that the microphone picks up quite a bit of background noise when streaming. Although it does have a noise cancellation option which completely blocks out background noise, I'd rather not use it because it makes me sound like shit. Is there anyway I can filter out the background noise? thank you

Videophile

Elgato
Try the OBS Noise gate, or look for a tutorial on VSTHost. But you cannot "Magically" make a mic sound better/pick up less noise.

Heldagrif

Is it the mic making white noise? like a buzz or a hum? or are you talking you can hear fans running, and your mom yelling at you in the backround?

None the less. Adobe Audacity is the best recording/microphone software out there. Team it with virtual audio cable and you will have amazing sound on your recordings.

CritVV

Thanks for the info guys. @Heldagrif , the noise I'm talking about is mostly the noise from my fans from my pc, although they aren't loud at all, the mic is sensitive enough to pick it up. I will try and take a look at audacity + virtual audio cable, and otherwise I guess I will have to use noise cancellation none the less.

dsr07mm

For recording I would recommended only Audacity and after your recording session just use from effects "Noise Removal". you select area where you are not talking at all and there is only noise from fans, click on noise removal and get info (or something but its GET), and then edit-select all, again noise removal but this time apply and you are good to go.

For live streaming I recommend Virtual Audio Cable with Adobe Audition CC, its removing noise in real time with around 10% cpu usage on i7 4770k (unfortunately). But my 10 bucks headphones and mic sounds almost like Blue yeti.

Videophile

Elgato
Actually, I would recommend VSTHost and Voice Meeter.

Uses less CPU, and allows for more things like compression, noise gate, etc. Look it up on YouTube. Very easy.

dsr07mm

Actually, I would recommend VSTHost and Voice Meeter.

Uses less CPU, and allows for more things like compression, noise gate, etc. Look it up on YouTube. Very easy.

I'm interested in this. Despite couple tutorials out there is there any particular from your experiance which you recommend ? I'm kinda short on time, I see couple of them for VSTHost but I dont see Voice Meeter involved ? Thanks :)

CritVV

For people having this same problem, I fixed it by PURE LUCK. On coincidence, I found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jswXZuFY_Y and the guy around 6:40 sais that the static of his mic is caused by the horrible onboard audio of his Asus motherboard. So I just plugged in some random unused sound card and the static disappeared...hmmm....

Videophile

Elgato
For people having this same problem, I fixed it by PURE LUCK. On coincidence, I found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jswXZuFY_Y and the guy around 6:40 sais that the static of his mic is caused by the horrible onboard audio of his Asus motherboard. So I just plugged in some random unused sound card and the static disappeared...hmmm....
This.

I use cheap USB sound cards instead of my onboard due to this issue. I used 5 total of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MSS6CS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Isegrim

Just like shrimp. i'm using a cheap usb sound card for mic input, I have almost no white noise this way. If i use the mic in on my mainboard, the white noise is horrible, despite the "high end" on board sound chip.