Question / Help Mic cutting out when recording (SOLVED)

Rexorbrave

So im trying to set-up for streaming running a few tests every now and then to see if it works, however my mic keeps falling out for like a second or so in random intervals. It is not the microphone since I dont have this issue when recording using Audacity or Audition.
Hope anyone can help, I have been trying to deal with it for weeks now :(

Thanks in advance!

Solution:
"
I'd like to thank both of you for your suggestions, the solution was even easier.
I wasn't running it as Administrator. This seemed to have resolved the issue.

So for everyone with the same issue, run OBS Studio as Administrator on your Windows PC.

"

Attachments

• 2019-01-09 20-45-38.txt
    14.3 KB · Views: 914
Last edited:

Narcogen

OBS is losing connection to the microphone and then reconnecting. Is any other software running that might be trying to access it?

You also seem to have your webcam configured as a microphone as well, is that intended?

Rexorbrave

OBS is losing connection to the microphone and then reconnecting. Is any other software running that might be trying to access it?

You also seem to have your webcam configured as a microphone as well, is that intended?
The webcam is unintentional, was aware but never bothered to change it and just muted it.

For other software, as far as I am concerned there isn't, especially since it always happens. The only programs running (on the top of my head) are twitch (for my WoW addons since i play it on the daily), avast, chrome, logitech gaming software, corsair iCUE and malwarebytes. That should be all. As far as I know none of these are using the mic.

Am I missing something here, or is it something else?

Thanks for the response, looking forward to other ideas you might have :)

Kind regards,
Rexorbrave

Narcogen

The only other usual advice is making sure the device's drivers are up to date, or trying alternative audio drivers like ASIO.

DEDRICK

Check that Avast doesn't have any "Internet protection" for Microphones and Webcams when you have a web browser open.

Optionally, disable Avast altogether and see if it still happens.

Rexorbrave

Check that Avast doesn't have any "Internet protection" for Microphones and Webcams when you have a web browser open.

Optionally, disable Avast altogether and see if it still happens.
The only other usual advice is making sure the device's drivers are up to date, or trying alternative audio drivers like ASIO.
I'd like to thank both of you for your suggestions, the solution was even easier.
I wasn't running it as Administrator. This seemed to have resolved the issue.

So for everyone with the same issue, run OBS Studio as Administrator on your Windows PC.

Thanks for the help! :)

jbarradale

I fixed my issue by removing the Noise Gate filter on my microphone. I added it to remove some background noises, such as keyboard. The settings are wrong. It removed too much and would not re-engage until after a short period of time. The levels of what was cut out were wrong. I need to redo it at some point after I research the proper settings.

Lawrence_SoCal

I suspect the real issue OP facing is running an 8 generation old CPU, as it is running on the edge of capacity, the extra timing priority of running OBS as Admin makes a difference.
For everyone else, I know a common recommendation is to run OBS as Admin. As a tech expert, I cringe at that suggestion (yes, I know why it is made). Realize it is largely a work-around for a resource constrained system.
On a decent modern CPU, with spare resources for a given workload, you shouldn't have to run OBS as Admin (I don't and don't have an issue). The challenge is gaming or similar where you are trying to use all available resources for activity, then add video streaming on top of it.. hence why I get recommendation

Lord_ashtray91

None of the above resolved my issue whatsoever. Microphone cuts in & out, no matter how I have my settings setup. The only thing that seems to work is by Not having noise supression, but then all you hear is a nonstop humming sound effect, even though it still attempts to cut in & out only barely then. I've been running OBS as an admin since I 1st started using it in November of 2019, but the microphone problem has Always been an issue. I just wish I could fix this problem already so I can have atleast 1 decent stream that didn't sound like garbage