Question / Help Mic audio only in left ear

Kajx88

So I set up my new mic with my audio interface and I cant seem to find out why my sound is only coming out of my left side on stream.

Kilspent

Hey bud,

Registered here just to help you out. Right click on the gear of your audio source ... advanced properties i think it is. One of the toggle boxes is "Downmix to Mono" you need to check that. Your interface is stereo and you have a mic plugged into the L channel :)

Kajx88

Hey bud,

Registered here just to help you out. Right click on the gear of your audio source ... advanced properties i think it is. One of the toggle boxes is "Downmix to Mono" you need to check that. Your interface is stereo and you have a mic plugged into the L channel :)
wow you are so smart, how do you know that it was in the L channel though?

Gared_Hayter

Hah! You mentioned the sound was only coming out of your left side :)
Checked the "Mono" box option and now it outputs on both ears. Thank you, registered just to say this lol. If you registered just to help that guy (it turned out it helped others too) I'll register just to thank you!

Eric Buist

Hi,
This unfortunately fixes the problem only partially. Using the "Downmix to mono" button lowers the volume of the mic quite a lot. I need to keep my month almost stuck on the mic and if I move my head just one or two centimeters away, the sound is super low. This pretty much ruins my videos, with super low voice contrasted with too loud game sounds. Bumping up the gain helps a bit, but the sound is a bit distorted and voice volume becomes very low, then too high, then very low again. I tried with two mics, getting similar issues, so maybe that is my audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 18i20), but the interface works excellent with Ableton Live which uses ASIO. Maybe it works correctly only with ASIO (which OBS doesn't support) and not WSAPI.
Changing the global setting from Stereo to Mono as some videos suggest is not a good solution for me, as I want to record game's sound, not just my voice, and the game's sound are stereo.
Is there any other solution than recording the voice overs after the fact?

biax

Hey bud,

Registered here just to say thank you!

Synergist

Hi,
This unfortunately fixes the problem only partially. Using the "Downmix to mono" button lowers the volume of the mic quite a lot. I need to keep my month almost stuck on the mic and if I move my head just one or two centimeters away, the sound is super low. This pretty much ruins my videos, with super low voice contrasted with too loud game sounds. Bumping up the gain helps a bit, but the sound is a bit distorted and voice volume becomes very low, then too high, then very low again. I tried with two mics, getting similar issues, so maybe that is my audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 18i20), but the interface works excellent with Ableton Live which uses ASIO. Maybe it works correctly only with ASIO (which OBS doesn't support) and not WSAPI.
Changing the global setting from Stereo to Mono as some videos suggest is not a good solution for me, as I want to record game's sound, not just my voice, and the game's sound are stereo.

What recording source do you have configured in OBS? Have you checked Advanced Audio Properties to make sure the Focusrite Mic source is at unity gain and not faded down inside OBS?

gthehippie

Hi,

The focus rite requires consistency in usb connection . You have to manage devices in windows and change all usb hub settings for power to always on. What is normal with USB’s, they turn power off when the pc goes to sleep. When you wake the pc again, the focus rite doesn’t pick up power correctly and can lower audio quality until you reset your pc. hope that helps.

Vain

Ya know.... This crazy thing happened to me.... I had the same issue with my OBS Software. Guess what, I created an account as well just to thank you guys for the outstanding forum etiquette. OBS should definitely brag about the folks it has supporting their forums. You guys/gals are awesome.