Bug Report Low framerate in Studio Mode

vlodeck

Hey guys,

Everything works fine in One Window mode and I get constant 25fps but as soon as I switch the Studio Mode on, the FPS drop to about 15-16. Both windows are choppy and I get the same fps in recordings. It's not an issue of the sources I add cause I get the same thing on a fresh install of OBS without anything added, with just Studio Mode turned on.

Why is that?

EDIT: Just checked on my Macbook Air with El Capitan. The same thing. Fresh install of OBS on fresh install of OSX without adding anything in.

Attachments

• 2017-03-12 22-14-36.txt
    12.7 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

Alex Pettitt

I have the exact same issue on my MacBook Pro 2015 Retina. Have been using OBS fine for months in Studio Mode, then today I updated to OSX Sierra and noticed that I too get Low Framerate in studio mode (this is before streaming or recording). I get full constant 30fps in single window mode. Any ideas on how to fix?

jpgaudette

Same thing here. 30FPS in single window, around 19 in Studio Mode. I'm on a 2016 New Macbook pro Retina with touch bar. CPU charge is around 5%, so no reason to have laggy framerate.

Norbert Pocsai

I also have the same issue on both on my Pro 2015 and Air 2015. (Sierra and El Captain)
Studio mode is on: around 18 FPS with (with low cpu use)
Studio mode is off: 30 FPS (or the FPS cap value) easily reached

I've tried multiple settings but nothing seems to work in studio mode.

Alex Pettitt

After spending days trying to fix, the only solution I have found is to have a bootable version of Yosemite installed on my external hard drive so that when I need to use OBS, I just flick over to that version of OS X. It's a crazy work around and I really hope this issue is fixed asap, but just thought this may help a few people out until then.

klazmandoo

I have the same issue with 10.12.4 sierra quite fresh install. In studio mode framerate drops to 15 but if my browser window (Chrome and Safari) is selected and active the framerate jumps back to 25.

JPS

Chiming in. Have the same issue. Thanks for all the work you guys do on this free tool. Even with it's bugs and quarks, it is still great to use. Thank you!

Arcane

Hey guys, I can confirm that this behavior is not just present in Sierra, but also in El Capitan as well. 30fps and even 60fps solid when in one-window mode, drops to 15 when in studio mode, regardless of whether v-sync is checked or not in advanced settings.

Primulator

Any progress on this bug? I just upgraded to OBS 19.0.2 and it still dropps immediately to 13-19fps once i activate studio mode. I have MacOS Sierra 10.12.5. Disable/Enable osx v-sync checkbox under "advanced" does no difference on the issue!

Jamahan

Same problem here. I´m on a MacBook Pro 2015 running macOS Sierra 10.12.5. Haven´t found any workarounds yet...

Narcogen

This has been the case for a long time. I'm not even sure it's been acknowledged as a known issue, though.

saloonstudios

Please, this is the only knock on OBS on Mac. I keep bouncing between OBS and GameShow only because I can't have a preview window...

Stefan Hächler

Any progress on this bug? I just upgraded to OBS 19.0.2 and it still dropps immediately to 13-19fps once i activate studio mode. I have MacOS Sierra 10.12.5. Disable/Enable osx v-sync checkbox under "advanced" does no difference on the issue!

V-Sync can not be disabled that way with Sierra since Apple moved to the Metal Framework. I think thats the main reason it will not work properly. Same issue with Framedrops in Games with Sierra. So if Apple wont change their concept of the GUI being processed, we have to wait for an OBS - Update or go with windows.

Narcogen

Sierra's use of metal may be what prevents OBS from disabling vsync, but it is NOT the cause of the frame rate dropping by half in Studio mode. This happens even in El Capitan.