Question / Help Low Frame Rate with Webcam

TheGamerPhoenix

Pretty cut and dry. Everything else in my streams is working fine, but for whatever reason, my webcam simply refuses to capture footage at 30 frames per second, or anything even close to it. If I had to guess, I'd say it's maybe pulling 15 frames per second. The raw video quality itself is fine, but even when I lower the resolution, the frame rate stays low. :-(

Does anyone have any solutions for this?

Benman2785

i think its a driver problem - u use OBS 64 and the Webcam uses a 32-bit driver -> can make probs // to check that: open OBS 32 and see what the Webcam does -> ps would be nice to know your webcam - not all are capable of 30fps - even at 240p

also check ur settings from webcam - maybe force 30fps instead of "highest fps" or "match output"

TheGamerPhoenix

i think its a driver problem - u use OBS 64 and the Webcam uses a 32-bit driver -> can make probs // to check that: open OBS 32 and see what the Webcam does -> ps would be nice to know your webcam - not all are capable of 30fps - even at 240p

also check ur settings from webcam - maybe force 30fps instead of "highest fps" or "match output"

I'm using the Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000, and do have it "forced" at 30fps. I'll give OBS 32 a shot, but I also did a quick Google check and it seems that a lot of people, using a variety of programs, have or had a lot of problems getting the camera to actually hit 30fps. Makes me think I should plan on snagging an upgrade sooner rather than later.

Benman2785

i also have a MS LifeCam HD-3000
i stream at 720p and my webcam uses 424x240 @30FPS -> and it has this 30FPS - but has sometimes issues with deinterlace

i use Win10 Creator, OBS Studio 64bit & newest MS drivers (via DeviceManager)

here a sample vid - u will see some deinterlace probs at 9s

http://benmanshafen.de/pics/OBS/Xaymar/webcam.flv <- "save as"

afaik the HD3000 uses 15-30FPS for 720p

Benman2785

wait - found something :)

1.) go to
webcam2.jpg

-> set Zoom "1"
-> uncheck Exposure and set it to "-6"

-> Pan and Tilt can focus the webcam on your face -> so USE UR OWN SETTINGS

then 2.)
webcam1.jpg

uncheck Whitebalance
-> then click on Default
-> Contrast 3-5
-> set Brightness so it fits your room lights (mine is "110")
-> Sharpness ~40-50
-> Saturation as needed for your room lights

my Webcam is now constant at 240p30 ;)

EDIT:
http://benmanshafen.de/pics/OBS/Xaymar/webcam_improved.flv <- save as ;)

ps: looks like you have to go into settings everytime u start u webcam to set Brightness properly

EDIT2:
even constant 720p
http://benmanshafen.de/pics/OBS/Xaymar/webcam_improved_720p.flv

Last edited:

Benman2785

http://benmanshafen.de/pics/OBS/Xaymar/webcam_improved_2.flv
constant 30FPS - nice color and brightness

most important is first picture -> maybe change exposure (and then back to -6 (because sometimes its constantly choppy otherwise)) -> and OBS and/or the driver didnt load the settings properly -> can be activated with changing brightness (just klick one left and back to you wished setting and then its working/loaded again)

Last edited:

JoeyDVDZ

I have the LifeCam Cinema, capable of 720p resolution, had the same problem. Accidentally fixed it by hitting the defaults button in the camera properties. It went from 160 res back up to 720. No idea why that worked, but it did.

FelipeEmos

I've just fixed my FPS problem by doing the following
  • In the Sources tab, go to your Video Capture Device ( Webcam )
  • Right Click
  • Go to Properties
  • Change the Video Format and see if it helps

I tried all the options I had and all worked better than the default ( YUYV 4:2:2 )
I went with the Video Format Motion-JPEG and I'm happy with the result
I hope this helps someone

1660310991908.png

Acolyte

I just fixed a friends camera, he was getting about 2 fps in obs. Going to device manager and uninstalling the driver for the webcam, then restarting the computer fixed the issue. This allowed the device to use Window's built in webcam driver.