Question / Help Losing quality in streamlabs vs elgato game capture (Elgato Hd60)

FerretBomb

Just a heads-up, we cannot provide any support for Streamlabs OBS, that's a different, derivative program created from the OBS Studio code-base. As it appears your logfile is from OBS and not SLOBS though...
3:59:09 PM.488: [jim-nvenc: 'recording_h264'] settings:
3:59:09 PM.488: rate_control: VBR
3:59:09 PM.488: bitrate: 2500
You're recording 1080p60 in VBR at 2500kbps. That's going to look absolutely terrible.

Switch to CQP/CRF instead of VBR, and use a value of 18.

Alternately, switch to Simple output mode (Settings->Output, at the top select Simple instead of Advanced), Indistinguishable quality, NVENC as the encoder. Should do the same thing.

lebrangston

Just a heads-up, we cannot provide any support for Streamlabs OBS, that's a different, derivative program created from the OBS Studio code-base. As it appears your logfile is from OBS and not SLOBS though...

You're recording 1080p60 in VBR at 2500kbps. That's going to look absolutely terrible.

Switch to CQP/CRF instead of VBR, and use a value of 18.

Alternately, switch to Simple output mode (Settings->Output, at the top select Simple instead of Advanced), Indistinguishable quality, NVENC as the encoder. Should do the same thing.

Sorry I meant OBS instead of SLOBS. When you say use a value for CQP/CBR, is the value of 18 used for the bitrate?

FerretBomb

CQP/CRF does not use bitrate, it uses a quality level setting. 18 should be fairly visually lossless. CQP/CRF is image quality-based encoding.

The only reason to use CBR (or VBR) is when streaming, as many services require it. For recording, it's the worst option possible.

lebrangston

CQP/CRF does not use bitrate, it uses a quality level setting. 18 should be fairly visually lossless. CQP/CRF is image quality-based encoding.

The only reason to use CBR (or VBR) is when streaming, as many services require it. For recording, it's the worst option possible.
Okay I'll give it a try. Is there anything else I should do besides change it to CQP?

FerretBomb

Okay I'll give it a try. Is there anything else I should do besides change it to CQP?
CQP/CRF 18 is the biggest change. It's going to be night and day.
You could run OBS as Administrator, but that's more to make sure that OBS gets access to the small amount of GPU time it needs to maintain a stable rendering framerate.