Question / Help Logitech headset with surround sound make the sound of the stream surround.

EleviN_

So, I recently started streaming a little and I have noticed that the sound is very "hollow" and it seems to be the surround feature on my Logitech G930 headset and the software for it. Even if I have the surround turned off on the headset it will be surround on the stream and I'm not sure how to fix it. On OBS it says that it's in stereo mode and there doesn't seem to be a way of completely disabling it either (I don't use it much so I'm fine with disabling it fully). I tried to switch the default playback device to Realtek but there is no sound on any programs and after a restart it automatically switches back to Logitech.

Thanks for reading.

velvitonator

I've noticed this as well.

On Windows 10, at least, it seems like the G930 reports itself as a 7.1 device, whether the surround is enabled or not. That means that all software outputting to it will always do so as if it were surround.

The best OBS could do, short of supporting native 7.1 output, would be to downmix to stereo, and as far as I can tell it actually does try to do that; I need to dig a little deeper to see what, if anything goes wrong.

EleviN_

I've noticed this as well.

On Windows 10, at least, it seems like the G930 reports itself as a 7.1 device, whether the surround is enabled or not. That means that all software outputting to it will always do so as if it were surround.

The best OBS could do, short of supporting native 7.1 output, would be to downmix to stereo, and as far as I can tell it actually does try to do that; I need to dig a little deeper to see what, if anything goes wrong.

I may have found a solution. This only works for those who also have Realtek however. If you go to your recording devices and show hidden/disabled devices you will get a Stereo Mix device. If you have a spare headset/earbuds you can use Stereo Mix to get the audio of your spare headset to your G930. This eliminates the surround and the sound has no delay. If you need clarification: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV46UXLsVW4 .

Last edited:

velvitonator

I hadn't thought of using another device and simply listening to the stereo mix. That's a good tip!

The downside, though, is that your own experience will also be in stereo. That's probably acceptable to most, but it's something to keep in mind. =)

-Velvit

EleviN_

Thanks! I never really game with surround on anyway, I prefer stereo. I noticed one other small downside, the volume gets significantly lower, may depend on the spare headset or whatever you plug in.

velvitonator

Could that be due to volume differences between the various devices (Stereo mix + output headphones)? For example, maybe the spare headphones are set to a low volume, or the stereo mix device itself?

Also, do you mean that you game in stereo on the G930s? If so, could you share an image of what appears for you when you go to Playback Devices, select the G930, and hit the configure button?

Mine only shows me 7.1 surround, but maybe there's a specific driver or somesuch with more options.

As far as I can tell, you should always be getting 7.1 on the G930, but the switch just en/disables the Dolby processing that maps it to the two physical speakers "better".