Live source fade in/out script (within single scene)

INS4NITY

Hey all,

Is it possible to create a script (probably Lua, based on my understanding) to fade a source in and out based on a hotkey press? (So, for example, fading a pre-written lower third in and out)

I have an idea of how this would work, just not the technical knowledge on how to execute on that idea. OBS in studio mode already kind of supports this, it's just a bit clunky; broadcast the scene, bring that same scene into preview, hide the source, fade the scene back to itself. So the plugin would go something like this:

On hotkey button press:
  • Copy current program scene to preview
  • Toggle source using hotkey
  • Copy preview to program using fade transition hotkey
Is that at all feasible? The only thing that isn't possible to do just with macros is determining which scene is active to copy back to the preview pane

Last edited:

ThatGirlSlays

I would also like to know. I didn't think transitions (cut, fade, etc) could be applied to sources. Only scenes but I could be wrong.

MudBocx

You could do this without scripting by embedding scenes into each other. Then switch to Studio Mode, trigger visibility of embedded scene 1, trigger transition. After that trigger visibility of embedded scene 2 and trigger transition. These scenes will lay on top of each other so it will be easy to swap between them.

Essentially this is just pressing buttons one after another. You could handle that using a websocket server and use bot commands as well.

Last edited:

ThatGirlSlays

I created a resource for transitioning sources, sort of like a slide show but I don't think you can apply fade to them, only a hidden/visibility state which would act as a cut. I'll be releasing that script soon.

WBE

You could do this without scripting by embedding scenes into each other. Then switch to Studio Mode, trigger visibility of embedded scene 1, trigger transition. After that trigger visibility of embedded scene 2 and trigger transition. These scenes will lay on top of each other so it will be easy to swap between them.

Essentially this is just pressing buttons one after another. You could handle that using a websocket server and use bot commands as well.

That way one can hide the contents of the lower thirds, but not make the lower thirds disappear.