Question / Help Laptop and external monitor

Sagild

Dear OBS

I have encountered a problem with my stream.

I have recently sold my gaming rig and bought a gaming laptop instead. I was streaming perfectly fine before, but with my new laptop I cannot get the stream to show up when using an external monitor.

It is as if the program does not detect the second monitor and still streams from the monitor on the laptop (which is turned off btw as I'm only using the external monitor).

I would really love to start streaming again as I was streaming a fair amount earlier so I would really appreciate some fast feedback.

Best regards.

bilehazard

Make sure the external monitor is set as your primary and not your secondary in the display settings in the OS. Make sure the same settings are set in OBS cause you might still have it set to capture a certain monitor.

Sagild

No it just has a single 7970M card.

The external monitor is set as my primary monitor, though windows 7 still identifies it as Monitor #2 which is what I think the problem is. In the settings in OBS I can only choose one monitor and that one monitor is labeled "1", so I'm guessing that's my laptops monitor (which is off and not set to show anything, hence the black screen when i hit preview stream in OBS)

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Laptops rarely have single video adapters, the nvidia and amd GPUs eat too much power, so they also have integrated intel for rendering basic stuff to reduce power. Most likely the monitor is using the wrong graphics adapters and you'll have to force OBS to use whichever one.

Sagild

Yeah thats also what ive found out.. I just cant seem to make it happen though.. Inside the CCC i've set the settings for OBS to Max Performance so it should automatically swap to 7970M with OBS open.. It just seems like the only setting I can change in there.. :/

Krazy

Town drunk
Yeah, unfortunately the ATI implementation of this system is way more of a pain in the ass than the nVidia one. Check thoroughly for software/BIOS/driver updates that will allow you to actually manually assign which programs use which GPU.

Sagild

If anyone knows a fix for it, I would be eternally grateful.. I really want to get into streaming again, and OBS is by far the best program I've tried, and I'd hate to go back to xsplit as it lowers the frame rates by insane amounts.. But I also asked this earlier.. Would it be possible to stream through Dxtory and OBS without dropping frame rates? I would hate if I bought the program without it working..

Krazy

Town drunk
Well, in the newest test version, if you right click on one of your Software Capture sources and select properties, there is a "Compatibility Mode" option that is specifically meant to address these sorts of multi GPU issues. You can give that a try.