Question / Help Is OBS for Linux dead? [Mod edit: No]

GillyMoMo

I was going to say, so there are in fact updated binaries I can compile from source then? That's very good news then. I need come around here more often and contribute like I used to. Push come and shove I can make script until the servers come back up.

dj--alex

PPA last time update is 2016 year.

somebody can update it?

and PLEASE include support NVENC

it added in FFmpeg 3.2.4 it must be used by default.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
PPA last time update is 2016 year.

somebody can update it?

and PLEASE include support NVENC

it added in FFmpeg 3.2.4 it must be used by default.

Please try reading all the information in the thread before commenting. The PPA is being worked on, and will be available when it is ready.

As for NVENC, that's up to your build of ffmpeg to support. OBS doesn't ship with its own ffmpeg.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I just want to state the full story behind what happened so there's no confusion about what happened:

I have no choice but to delegate some things otherwise I'd get overloaded with work, and automating builds was one of them. To do this, we used a server which has all of our scripts and configuration for building and deployment of the program. The person who originally volunteered to manage it ended up being too busy to handle it anymore, but was ultimately unable to spend time even looking at it, so the old build server just sat there dead. To make the delay worse, there were many continually unfulfilled promises by this individual to fix it which led the rest of us to wait and wait, only to just drag it on longer and longer and still never happen, so we reached a boiling point and decided to stop using the build server and start from scratch again pretty much. He had a new job and a wife/kid, so I'm not necessarily blaming anyone here (though he shouldn't have made those promises). I could handle windows builds by myself in the mean time, but not mac/linux builds because their build scripts were very intricate for backward compatibility, and their update functionality was connected to specific URLs (mac's auto-updater and linux PPA were now linked up to dead URLs from the server).

So we started up a new build server, and we only just recently got mac builds working again with 18.0.1 (from 16.6), thank goodness. Linux builds are inevitably going to follow.

The reason why it wasn't easy to just get back up and working is because there was a lot of original configuration lost. One of the big issues (and an unfortunate major learning experience) that helped contribute to this problem is that our build configuration was separate from the main respository and wasn't synchronized, and so when the server was lost, a good portion of that was lost. We rebuilt the mac configuration (hence why mac builds are going again), and the linux configuration is still being rebuilt. Fortunately, if we ever have issues again, our build scripts are now stored directly on the repository.

So that's what happened, and it wasn't pleasant to deal with. We'll have linux builds hopefully within the next month or two. Things just got massively delayed due to those events unfortunately. It might end up being a different PPA URL, but they'll definitely be going again.

GillyMoMo

Built from git works like a charm!! Honestly guys if you follow the well detailed instructions it's really just copy and paste until that server gets back and running. Thanks again Jim for the insight.

David Cooper

It's not broken in the slightest! Why don't you use my build script? It installs all dependencies and builds the latest version of obs-studio (HEAD) on ubuntu (verified on 16.04 LTS) as well as obs-websocket and obs-qtwebkit plugins.

(@TromboneSteve, You may need to enable the ubuntu multiverse and canonical sources in apt. If you don't know what that means, try the script and see what happens and then post here.)

Execute the following at the shell and obs-studio will be installed!

Code:
mkdir ~/obs-build
cd ~/obs-build
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dtcooper/obs-studio/build-scripts/build_obs_linux.sh
sh build_obs_linux.sh

It'll run sudo to install obs and its dependencies, so you'll be prompted for your password.

Last edited:

lordgault

It's not broken in the slightest! Why don't you use my build script? It installs all dependencies and builds the latest version of obs-studio (HEAD) on ubuntu (verified on 16.04 LTS) as well as obs-websocket and obs-qtwebkit plugins.

(@TromboneSteve, You may need to enable the ubuntu multiverse and canonical sources in apt. If you don't know what that means, try the script and see what happens and then post here.)

Code:
mkdir ~/obs-build
cd ~/obs-build
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dtcooper/obs-studio/build-scripts/build_obs_linux.sh
sh build_obs_linux.sh

It'll run sudo to install obs and its dependencies, so you'll be prompted for your password.

Sorry in advance, I do not speak English, this is a translation from Google.
Thanks for the script, it worked for me in Ubuntu GNOME 16.04. I would like to ask you about any future OBS updates, will your scritp be used as indicated, or on the contrary with each version of OBS will it be a different script?

FireStarW

Code:
mkdir ~/obs-build
cd ~/obs-build
sh build_obs_linux.sh

According to the obs-webkit github, that plugin is deprecated and someone has made a replacement: https://github.com/bazukas/obs-linuxbrowser
any chance you could modify your script to use the new plugin?

PK3900

I had previously installed OBS on 16.04 from the PPA, running OK (really wish it had "media source" monitoring, though!). I just went ahead and used your build script to build from github, and the build/install was seemingly 100% clean. However, the result (which apparently replaced my working PPA version, so I'll be reverting for now) crashes on startup. Takes a while too, there's a lot of churning before the crash actually occurs:

obs crashed with SIGSEGV in gl_getclientsize()

This is on a 64 bit 16.04LTS system.

Thanks for your work on this.