Question / Help IP Webcam and OBS: No Video Shown

itspladd

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to use my Android phone as a camera with the IP Webcam application. I perform the following steps, as detailed in the documentation: http://ip-webcam.appspot.com/static/doc.html

1. Start the video stream from my phone.
2. Configure the camera using the Configure IP Camera application, downloaded from http://ip-webcam.appspot.com/

After completing these steps, my phone camera appears as "MJPEG Camera" and is selectable in multiple programs, including OBS Studio.

However, OBS Studio does not render any video from the camera. Instead, I get a black box on my preview and on any recordings.

I have verified that programs such as Skype are able to render the video. I've included the log file below. Line 150 in the log file shows where I attempted to create a new Video Capture Source from the webcam. It looks like the problem may be that OBS Studio can't decode the device ID, but I couldn't find answers to that problem anywhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 2016-04-30 16-40-59.txt
    14.8 KB · Views: 950

itspladd

I may have just answered my own question, although I would appreciate confirmation.

The main IP Webcam page says it works with any program that supports DirectShow, and the front page of OBS lists DirectShow support in OBS Classic. Does OBS Studio not support DirectShow yet?

itspladd

I'll just spam my own thread again!

I resolved the issue by manually changing the resolution in the Video Capture Device Properties. Resolution/FPS Type was previously set to "Device Default." I changed it to "Custom," and two resolutions appeared on the drop-down menu: 1920x1080 (which was the resolution I specified when setting up the camera) and 240x136.

On a whim, I chose 240x136. Bam, it worked. I have no idea why. I'm happy to have a working setup, but I'd still love to have a higher resolution on my stream, so I'd still love to know what's going on!

M0nster124

If you allow: Does the IP Cam also set your CPU useage in OBS up to 30%? Im getting alwaqys 30-40% CPU useage if I try to work with IP Cam.

sthiago

Don't know if you already fixed it but you can manually type a resolution in the box. I also don't know why it doesn't render when you select 1920x1080, but you can try typing 720x480, for example (anything above that didn't work here, but it might for you). Unless you're trying to render the feed fullscreen it should be good enough, quality-wise

ElBilo

opción navegador cambia resolución 800x600 y vuelve a cambiar a 1920x1080. Prueba a ver si funciona

auntlydia

Hi there, I know this has been a while since last thread reply, but I have found out some interesting things regarding this problem.

It was possible for me to get my IPcam-MJPEG camera input working in OBS.

The browser option is possible too, but the problem with that is, once a password is set to access HTTP interface, it does not show in OBS browser since there is no password authentication request, or at least I haven't found the option for it yet.

Here's what I did:
1. I set my source camera, which is an older Samsung Phone, to a standard video output of 1920x1080 in IP Webcam app, specify port number and set username/password
2. I test the function with my browser (Firefox) with http://local-IP:port/video
3. I run "Configure IP Camera Adapter" tool for windows with local-IP:port/video and enter credentials that I have set earlier in IP Webcam app
4. I add "Video Capture Device" in OBS as a Source, and configure it as follows:
- Device: MJPEG Camera
- Resolution: Custom
- when I click the dropdown, I get two options: 1920x1088, and 240x136; it only works with 240x136
- It turns out that other resolutions work too, as long as they are multiples of the smallest one, so what worked for me was 480x272 and 960x544
- 1920x1088 is a multiple of 240x136 as well, but for some reason it doesn't work

So at least it is possible to get the stream with a resolution of 960x544, which is a nice resolution for additional cameras.

Hope this helps others too!
Cheers

AaronD

Hi there, I know this has been a while since last thread reply, but I have found out some interesting things regarding this problem.

It was possible for me to get my IPcam-MJPEG camera input working in OBS.

The browser option is possible too, but the problem with that is, once a password is set to access HTTP interface, it does not show in OBS browser since there is no password authentication request, or at least I haven't found the option for it yet.

Here's what I did:
1. I set my source camera, which is an older Samsung Phone, to a standard video output of 1920x1080 in IP Webcam app, specify port number and set username/password
2. I test the function with my browser (Firefox) with http://local-IP:port/video
3. I run "Configure IP Camera Adapter" tool for windows with local-IP:port/video and enter credentials that I have set earlier in IP Webcam app
4. I add "Video Capture Device" in OBS as a Source, and configure it as follows:
- Device: MJPEG Camera
- Resolution: Custom
- when I click the dropdown, I get two options: 1920x1088, and 240x136; it only works with 240x136
- It turns out that other resolutions work too, as long as they are multiples of the smallest one, so what worked for me was 480x272 and 960x544
- 1920x1088 is a multiple of 240x136 as well, but for some reason it doesn't work

So at least it is possible to get the stream with a resolution of 960x544, which is a nice resolution for additional cameras.

Hope this helps others too!
Cheers
You can't point a browser source directly to the IP Webcam URL? You do have to take the 's' off of https://...
1693622660171.png