Question / Help Installing DirectX SDK - Issues Error S1023

Hootsworth

Hello everyone,

I know this isn't the Microsoft forums or support page, however; I have scoured all over their website and not a single solution has given me any aid. Since this is a required piece of software to do any developing on OBS with, I figured I'd ask around here and see if anyone has had any issues installing the DirectX SDK on Windows 7.

Everytime I try to install, it gets to the post installation set up and then fails with the error S1023. I've done a great deal of searching and found the most common cause for this error is the Visual C++ 2010 Redistributables being too new for the installer to run correctly.

So, following that lead I uninstalled the Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable and then when that failed I uninstalled ALL instances of the Visual C++ redistributable. No effect, however.

The only other thing I've been able to find and try are some Registry Edits from the Microsoft support page, also there, zero effect.

Anyone else have any suggestions to get this horrid piece of software to install?

Hootsworth

I think I have the solution, and I'll post it here for fellow travelers whoever have this painful issue.

First, you'll probably encounter this issue as I did if you had to use the Microsoft FixIt utility to attempt to uninstall the VC2010Redistributable. It seems that having to use this leaves a couple of Registry Keys that causes the SDK installer to fail.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vsnetsetup/...utable-has-been-detected-on-this-machine.aspx

On this link, there is a short post at the bottom that shows you what registry keys you need to delete. Doing this should allow you to install the SDK properly.

To be honest, it baffles me how this installer process could be so screwed up, but this seems to work.

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
Thanks for reporting back! Yeah, windows installers screw up easily. Especially .net and directx stuff for some reason.