Installer / Folder Settings

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
It would be nice if there was a windows installer .exe and the app saved settings to the proper locations as specified in the Windows developer guidelines (eg save user data in %APPDATA%). Saving files to the application folder has been deprecated since Windows XP as it causes permissions issues with UAC - trying to install OBS in Program Files for example causes it to fail since it can't open the .ini for writing as a regular user, and log files and other files may also not be written out correctly.

It isn't immediately obvious what to do with a .zip file for non-technical users so this would help remove a barrier to entry.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Yep, the zip with a bunch of files is just me being lazy -- I do know about the program files thing.. Once it goes beta I actually had plans to make a proper installer and make it save to the proper location. I'd also like to do some sort of automatic update thing too, that would be nice.

I should probably also add a general user-friendly todo here in the forums so people can see what I already have planned

Barda_ehmos

Hello all.
I have nearly the same problem about the installation but i'm on Linux (Unbuntu 12.04).
I have trying to use x32 and sources but the .exe don't run with wine (program for use .exe on a Win simulation)
If you want informations, i'm here.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
you'd probably have to patch wine somewhere to get it to work properly. I wish I could help, but making it work on wine is not something I can really consider a priority at a moment. I'd rather just make a linux version to be honest.