Question / Help I can't hear my mic or desktop audio when i rewatch the video recorded

princefatman

I can't seem to find a solution to figuring out why i can't hear myself on recordings nor the game audio. It'll work for the first time i open obs every now and then, but after that it'll stop working. I've disabled all the other stuff except my speakers on playback and my UMC 204 HD on recording. OBS shows that their working i can see them working with the green thing showing so i know they work. Also i can take the recordings and hear them on editing softwares such as when i open them on premiere pro. I don't think my mic and desktop audio are too low to hear since they hit the yellow marks.

Attachments

• 2019-06-20 03-59-19 copy.txt
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,171

Narcogen

Are you recording multiple tracks?

In this window, what devices are assigned to which track?

Edit > Advanced Audio Properties

Most playback programs will only play audio from a single track at a time. If you open your recordings in a program like VLC, if your recording has multiple tracks you should be able to choose which one to listen to in the Audio menu.

Or you can import them into a video editor that supports multiple tracks, like DaVInci Resolve or other. Not clear if you're seeing these tracks in Premiere or not.

If your audio is only just reaching the yellow portion of the meter it is almost certainly too low. The yellow region tops out at about -10; broadcast TV is mixed for -12 but a lot of streaming content is mixed for -1 or even 0.

princefatman

Are you recording multiple tracks?

In this window, what devices are assigned to which track?

Edit > Advanced Audio Properties

Most playback programs will only play audio from a single track at a time. If you open your recordings in a program like VLC, if your recording has multiple tracks you should be able to choose which one to listen to in the Audio menu.

Or you can import them into a video editor that supports multiple tracks, like DaVInci Resolve or other. Not clear if you're seeing these tracks in Premiere or not.

If your audio is only just reaching the yellow portion of the meter it is almost certainly too low. The yellow region tops out at about -10; broadcast TV is mixed for -12 but a lot of streaming content is mixed for -1 or even 0.
Yeah I use multiple tracks so I can adjust the levels and edit them separately once their in premiere pro. And yeah I can see the separate tracks in premiere pro. Yesterday I was able to get just get the mic to be able to record and hear it on playback, right now I can’t hear the desktop audio or game audio etc on playback. I’m thinking maybe it’s because I checked and I don’t have obs studio installed in the program files folder so maybe that’s why the encoder won’t work? Since the log files shows that it failed? Idk I won’t be able to try to attempt to fix it for another couple of hours. So reinstalling will be my next step and seeing how that works.

Narcogen

If you can see and edit them in Premiere, then there is no problem. Don't just reinstall, that is not going to fix a problem like this.

If by "in playback" you mean in a video player like VLC, that is normal. Video players only play back one audio track at a time. You can select which audio track you want from a menu, but to hear all at once you either need to be in a multitrack capable editor, or create an additional track that has all devices combined.

If you mean you can't hear while recording or streaming, that's controlled by the Monitor device setting in Settings > Audio and which tracks are set to monitor in Edit > Advanced Audio Properties.

Nothing to do with what folder OBS is in.

Last edited:

princefatman

These are the pictures i took maybe i'm just overthinking the situation, but anyways the mic will work every now and then whenever i hit record and i can hear myself back. i havent gotten the desktop audio to work yet.
These logs are currently in my obs log

Failed to load 'en-US' text for module: 'decklink-ouput-ui.dll'
16:01:08.370: [AMF] AMF Test failed due to one or more errors.
16:01:08.370: Failed to initialize module 'enc-amf.dll'
16:01:08.384: Module '../../obs-plugins/64bit/libEGL.dll' not loaded
16:01:08.386: [obs-browser]: Version 2.4.0
16:01:08.389: NVENC supported
Dunno if those matter with the errors and i shouldnt worry about that idk

Attachments

• Advance audio obs.PNG
    Advance audio obs.PNG
    13.3 KB · Views: 2,459
  • obs audio.PNG
    obs audio.PNG
    46.8 KB · Views: 2,430

Dasmin

What was the issue? I am currently having the same problem you did.
ok ok dude, i find it(or at least for me). so try to match your headphones or speakers kHz with the "sample rate" on audio settings... that fixed my problem for now at least....

tvteeth

please try to understand this is getting really hard to solve can you please try to remember

Figured it out for ya.

Settings > Audio > Monitoring Device

Think of the Monitoring Device as the device you are using to listen to (monitor) the audio. Keep changing it until you find the right option that outputs into your desired device (headphones or speakers). Hope this helps. :^)
Untitled.png