Question / Help HUGE Lag Problem

StaleBread4

Hey ! So I've been trying to start up a youtube channel, and I would try to record stuff, but the videos seemed to be really laggy and choppy. I've tried watching every youtube video to see what settings i should use, but i dont want my videos to be really low resolution. I dont understand why it's laggy though. I have a GTX 1050 TI and it's overclocked my cpu is an intel i7 6700 but whenever i go to record a game it records at 10-20 fps which is strange, because in game I'm hitting 60FPS and i look at the video and its extremely laggy. Can anyone tell me what i should do?

Thank you !

CrustedNut

The responses I've been getting are telling me that I'm needing to cap my in-game FPS at 60 to be able to encode the OBS video smoothly. Then again I'm running a GTX 1080, i7 8700k and a 1440p 144Hz monitor. I believe we have the same, if not similar, problem. I run the game perfectly fine but then go over the recording and its choppy.

StaleBread4

The responses I've been getting are telling me that I'm needing to cap my in-game FPS at 60 to be able to encode the OBS video smoothly. Then again I'm running a GTX 1080, i7 8700k and a 1440p 144Hz monitor. I believe we have the same, if not similar, problem. I run the game perfectly fine but then go over the recording and its choppy.
I'll try it and see if it works, thank you!

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Yes, we generally recommend that you limit your application resource usage - usually done by limiting your game's frame rate. If you don't the game/application tries to consume as much resources as it can, and then other applications can't get the resources they need quite as freely or quickly. Cap your in-game FPS, if you're still having trouble, please post a log file. The logs contain not only relevant system specs, but also diagnostic information on streams/recordings.

StaleBread4

Yes, we generally recommend that you limit your application resource usage - usually done by limiting your game's frame rate. If you don't the game/application tries to consume as much resources as it can, and then other applications can't get the resources they need quite as freely or quickly. Cap your in-game FPS, if you're still having trouble, please post a log file. The logs contain not only relevant system specs, but also diagnostic information on streams/recordings.
Thanks for telling me! I capped it at 30 fps, because my recording went to 30fps, too. I still don't know why I can't have it at 60 fps, but in the meantime I can work with 30 fps. My logs : https://hastebin.com/aganozedav . Also, I have a small problem, it's not really as important, but my HUD is really small, it might be that my monitor's at 4k, so it's making the ratio smaller, but I don't know, it doesn't matter too much, I just thought I would let you know.

Thank you!

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Update OBS manually to OBS Studio 21.1.2 from the download page on this website. Disable the Windows Gaming features (Game Bar, Game DVR). Please download GPU-Z and post a screenshot (the camera button in the program and upload to free image hosting).

The 1050Ti should be capable of 60 FPS gaming and 30 FPS OBS rendering.

High resolution/DPI displays have some scaling issues. Are these displays 60Hz or some other refresh rate?

StaleBread4

Update OBS manually to OBS Studio 21.1.2 from the download page on this website. Disable the Windows Gaming features (Game Bar, Game DVR). Please download GPU-Z and post a screenshot (the camera button in the program and upload to free image hosting).

The 1050Ti should be capable of 60 FPS gaming and 30 FPS OBS rendering.

High resolution/DPI displays have some scaling issues. Are these displays 60Hz or some other refresh rate?
http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/18/07/19/zst.png . I did everything besides disabling the Windows Gaming features, because i couldn't find it.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Sorry, I need to see the GPU-Z screenshot for the GTX 1050Ti. You can change which GPU it's reading with the dropdown in the program's lower-left.

Windows Gaming settings are in the Windows Settings app, under Gaming.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Is that during a game or the Render Test? If so, something is preventing it from being at full speed/power.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Try GPU-Z's built-in render test instead. If you can't force the GPU to get to PCIe 3.0 x16, there's a problem.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Your GPU is definitely stuck in some lower bus speed. This is usually caused by one of the following:
  • GPU is not installed in a PCIe 3.0 x16 slot (the PCIe slot closest to the CPU is typically the 3.0 x16 slot, but you need to consult your motherboard documentation to be sure)
  • Another PCIe device is installed and consuming PCIe bandwidth/lanes
  • Stuck in power saving mode
  • GPU not getting enough power (power cable faulty or not connected)
  • Corrupted drivers
  • Hardware failure