Question / Help How's the FX-8350 for OBS streaming @1080p while gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toothman

Everything about this CPU tells me it's the perfect streaming CPU for budgets, but data on its real-life performance with an experienced streamer is sparse. The only decent information I can find is the Tech Syndicate review, which is frequently regarded as inaccurate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... u8Sekdb-IE

There's gotta be someone out there streaming with an FX-8350. Even if you're using one of the cheaper octacores like the FX-8120, you still have useful information. How's the real-life performance while streaming?

ProClub

toothman said:
Everything about this CPU tells me it's the perfect streaming CPU for budgets, but data on its real-life performance with an experienced streamer is sparse. The only decent information I can find is the Tech Syndicate review, which is frequently regarded as inaccurate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... u8Sekdb-IE

There's gotta be someone out there streaming with an FX-8350. Even if you're using one of the cheaper octacores like the FX-8120, you still have useful information. How's the real-life performance while streaming?

I don't have one, but I'm sure it's fine. Yeah, it lacks for what AMD says it can do etc., but it's basically what Bulldozer was supposed to be when it was released.

Logan's review isn't on point as it stirred up a lot of controversy due to his testing methodology and other things he said.

He used Xsplit for streaming which I found when doing dual channels uses more resources and way less smooth compared to OBS.

Krazy

Town drunk
FX-8350 is perfectly fine for gaming/streaming. Several users have them and have no more problems with the software than normal. (Usually related to incorrect settings or bug with the app itself, rarely with the chosen hardware)

Nintendork

One of the best choices for streaming if not the best (don't worry, the testsyndicate video hurts intel fans portafolio). Since most games at most use between 4-6cores you get a lot of free resources for the encoding process and in the end, more quality or better compression/less bandwith.

z0rz

Nintendork said:
One of the best choices for streaming if not the best (don't worry, the testsyndicate video hurts intel fans portafolio). Since most games at most use between 4-6cores you get a lot of free resources for the encoding process and in the end, more quality or better compression/less bandwith.
Simply having "MOAR COREZ" for each duty doesn't make it a better choice. At the FX-8350 price point, you're comparing it to a i5-3570k. It should clue you in when an 8-core CPU still can't quite edge out a 4-core CPU-- when overclocked, they seem to trade blows pretty evenly. If the question was "Which CPU manufacturer is better for a dedicated streaming machine?" then yeah, I'd say AMD wins pretty handily.

Generally speaking, AMD is better for heavily-threaded applications (this is good for streaming), and Intel has better per-thread performance (this is good for gaming). For the sake of argument we'll call it a wash and say they both perform exactly the same when gaming AND streaming at the same time.

Here's the twist-- do you expect to stream EVERY game you play? It's unlikely that you will stream without gaming, but it's pretty likely that you will game without streaming. The game is the common denominator here, which is currently favored by Intel products.

Nintendork

In gaming 3570K/3770K offers exactly the same performance, similar situation with FX-6300/8350, most games don't take more than 4 cores. When you're gaming/streaming you maximize the cpu usage and at that time, core count matters specially when you have "free power" available.

At pure gaming, 1080p the differences between FX-6300/8350/3570K/3770K is at most 5-10%. Crysis 3 now runs better on AMD cpu's and that trend will grow as the new consoles emerge.

AFAIK, if you care about gaming performance, you care about the gpu, not the cpu, even a cheapo FX-6300 offers similar performance to cpu's 2x its price. GPU's are the bottleneck for games, core counte for streaming/gaming, make your choiece.

If i build a gaming non-streaming box, FX-6300 + the best price/performance gpu (660Ti/7870XT)

Colonel_Black

So am I right to think that the FX-8350 is a good CPU for Gaming/Streaming?
What about over my current i7-920 2.67 that I'm using?

Krazy

Town drunk
It would probably be a pretty noticeable improvement over that, yes. The FX-8350 should serve you well for streaming 1080p30fps while still having good in game performance.

I literally just got back from my buddy's house, and I installed an FX-8350 and Sapphire HD 7970.

He's going to test out his stream soon!

Note: FX-8350 CAN stream at 1080p 60fps NO PROBLEM. I already do that with my i7 2600k, effortlessly.

FX-8350 scores higher on CPU benchmark vs. 2600k

I'll update you guys when it's done.

Colonel_Black

TriAtlasGaming said:
I literally just got back from my buddy's house, and I installed an FX-8350 and Sapphire HD 7970.

He's going to test out his stream soon!

Note: FX-8350 CAN stream at 1080p 60fps NO PROBLEM. I already do that with my i7 2600k, effortlessly.

FX-8350 scores higher on CPU benchmark vs. 2600k

I'll update you guys when it's done.
Perfect.. A person to actually test for me :)

I'd love to see what your response is on this.

Being just a gamer, I play games a lot and I've read in multiple sites that the FX-8350 is weaker than the Intels' at gaming, but can be better at streaming and such (All to what I've read... but a lot of people are opinionated over facts)). I don't personally have much money to blow, but I'd like to improve performance while Gaming and Streaming, so a CPU upgrade would be nice.

Krazy

Town drunk
Currently, there should be very few games that give that processor trouble, especially while streaming. It's true that for tasks other than streaming, comparable spec Intel chips generally beat it out, but it will be plenty powerful for what you are wanting to do.

Here's a record that my friend has of Battlefield 3.

==> http://www.twitch.tv/paolotao/b/385508816

He's actually using Stable 0.472 of OBS. His game is 100% maxed out and playing at 1080p.

He averages around 60 fps or more in-game, and can stream at the 60 fps setting in OBS. He only has a 3mb upload, so his bit-rate is only at 2200. Quality balance is at 6, and CBR is OFF. Resolution is 720p.

Priority class is on Normal and CPU Preset is on Veryfast.

We tried a slower preset (Fast and Medium) and Priority class of High, but in-game FPS goes down drastically (around 40-50) and sometimes below 40. So, I don't think it's wise to use anything under "Veryfast."

His CPU is not overclocked yet, so that may offer some performance improvement.

Colonel_Black

Thank you for the response TriAtlasGaming. I was meant to have my CPU arrive today, but they thought they'd be idiots and delay it until tomorrow.

The quality is pretty good for the upload speed and I'd watch something of that quality.
Only issue for other users is that it was eating 1400kb/s to watch. (Not a problem for me, but other viewers)

Thanks again for reporting your results.

Koopa

Hey guys,

I'm from germany so excuse me for my bad english,
I have the same cpu and wanted to stream with 60 fps but no matter what bitrate I use every 40 to 60 seconds i have extremely fps drops ingame (cs go from 264fps to like 40fps) and obs shows the warning "takes to long to encode, skipping frames". If I stream at 30 fps I have no fps drops and the warning isn't shown at all. I have an 6mbit upload but as said before it doesn't matter what bitrate I'm using (tried it with 500 kbit/s and still get this warning at 60fps). Also the cpu is slightly overclocked to 4,3 GHz and the temperature doesn't get above 55°C. My ingame resolution is 1600x900 and I already tried to downscale with all filters to 720 and without downscaling too. I#m really frustrated right know so I would appreciate some help!

Best Regards
Koopa

Edit: I use gamecapture to stream the game and I will upload some images of my settings tomorrow.
Edit2: Here my system specs:

Mainboard: MSI 970A-G43
vga card: Asus 770 GTX OC 2GB
Ram: Crucial Ballistix 1866 MHz
Hard drive: 60gb ssd (sysem)
500GB (Games etc.)
CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4,3 GHz

Oliver Rolfe

I use the AMD FX 8350 along with an elgato hd60 to stream ps4 and xbox one games through twitch. Have no issues with streaming with an AMD CPU just same old tinkering with details and set up depending on download and upload. Can not judge of 60 fps and twitch only allows up to 30 for non partnered streamers.

The only thing I might say is that the way to get the best out of streaming is a high powered GPU and set OBS to use that to encode the stream, but I am only new at this.

Raz

I've got the same frame skipping with an AMD FX 8350 BE, opting to use Jackun's branch of OBS https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/obs-branch-with-amd-vce-support.13996/ solved pretty much all of my issues.

It contains functionality to utilize an AMD GPU (a Radeon R9 270x in my case) for encoding instead of the CPU.

It produces a far superior stream with very minor yet completely acceptable hiccups (ie. a handful of skipped frames) rarely.

IMHO, idk why this hasn't been merged into the main branch of OBS yet

Edit: I may have spoke too soon,
0000244: Add AMD VCE encoder support - resolved
https://obsproject.com/mantis/view.php?id=244

Last edited:

Harold

Development on obs classic has basically been terminated completely.

Now stop resurrecting year-old threads.

Raz

Development on obs classic has basically been terminated completely.

Now stop resurrecting year-old threads.

Since the thread itself is over 2 years old, the previous post before mine is about 6 months ago, and the post before that is about another 6 months, maybe you should go pretend to be a moderator somewhere else because you're doing a poor job here.

I only posted to add additional information to the thread which it was lacking. I came across the thread originally from a google search as I have the same CPU and the same issues. My specific solution to the issue was to transfer encoding to the GPU but since the stable version of OBS (v0.655b) i'm currently using, hasn't implemented AMD GPU support, I brought a viable alternative to the table.

Now please, for the sake of everyone, go troll around somewhere else, thank you.

Sincerely,
Raz

Last edited:

Harold

Maybe if you had paid attention, you would have realized that

1> the 0.6xx verison you referenced, obs classic, is NO LONGER GETTING UPDATES. No new features, nothing. It's done
2> The version where all the development is currently focused is the multiplatform version, sometimes referred to as obs-studio. It got support for VCE as of 0.12

thanks for playing. you have lost the game.

Raz

I see what you did there slick, my previous statement still stands

You do realize a lot of people still use the original right, so you're basically adding needless fluff to the thread in an effort to moderate a thread when its not your place.

Leave it be!

Status
Not open for further replies.