Question / Help How to use OBS as Skype Webcam source

morne welgemoed

Hi there LOVE OBS and sad not to be streaming much right now but I would love to use it for business calls and presentations.

Currently in skype I can only use Xsplit as a webcam source - as skype recognises Xsplit in their drop down / select webcam option but not OBS :( Is there a workaround for this?

I would like to give online presentation from my OBS Studio dashboard and send that to skype as my video source.

I can currently do this with Xsplit but who wants to use XSplit when OBS is so much better.

Any suggestion?
Many thanks!

MatthewL

Hi, I've installed this and when I attempt to use it with skype it only seems to want to output grey. When I select OBS as my output source it shows grey too. So grey all around, any idea what's going on and how to fix it? Thanks!

MatthewL

Hi, I've installed this and when I attempt to use it with skype it only seems to want to output grey. When I select OBS as my output source it shows grey too. So grey all around, any idea what's going on and how to fix it? Thanks!
Hey never mind my last comment I figured it out (had to "start" it in the tools menu) Now I can't get the audio from a youtube video or my desktop auot to pass through, is there a way around that?

vga924

Hi, is it possible to bring the skype caller in as an OBS source? If so, how?

romeo623

I've installed OBS-VirtualCam 1.2.1 on OBS 21.0.1 and selected 'Tools' > 'VirtualCam' > 'Start' but for whatever reason, it doesn't appear as a video source in Windows Skype. Same goes for ManyCam and XSplit although VLC Media Player recognizes all 3 as DirectShow input devices. Solutions?
same problem here. Any clue?

wyredupstudio

I've been looking for a solution for the same thing. Just a simple option in Messenger to change to the OBS output feed, but Messenger only sees my physical cams. This should be something so simple...for FaceBook to fix. There's a video on YT using VirtualCam with Google Hangouts and OBS as the source. That's next. FireFox doesn't work, same hardware error. Tried Opera too...same error.

LP95

I have followed the steps, but when I try to select a video input it doesn't show OBS-camera. Any idea why this may be? I have tried uninstalling OBS and Skype and reinstalling them but it is not working.

ville900

Hi, I have the same question / problem. I use Skype and I want to be able to input in Skype (so as an incoming source) the flow coming from OBS as an incoming source. It doesn't seem to work.

Plncrzy

I got it working! I'm trying to use OBS as a virtual camera for Skype. (you need the OBS virtual cam plugin https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/obs-virtualcam.539/ )
Skype wasn't showing OBS as a camera option. I went into OBS settings > Video and changed my output resolution to 1280x720. Then skype saw the OBS virtual camera, but it was a grey video output. So I went back to OBS and opened the tools menu > VirtualCam. I pressed "start" and voila! Skype went from a grey screen to video!

LP95

I got it working! I'm trying to use OBS as a virtual camera for Skype. (you need the OBS virtual cam plugin https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/obs-virtualcam.539/ )
Skype wasn't showing OBS as a camera option. I went into OBS settings > Video and changed my output resolution to 1280x720. Then skype saw the OBS virtual camera, but it was a grey video output. So I went back to OBS and opened the tools menu > VirtualCam. I pressed "start" and voila! Skype went from a grey screen to video!
I have tried this and it still isn't working.... any other ideas?

Plncrzy

I have tried this and it still isn't working.... any other ideas?
Only other ideas I have is make sure your OBS is the latest version. I used 64 bit v25.0.8. I made sure I was running Skype for desktop, not the windows store version. My skype is v 8.59.0.77. I'm on a PC with windows 10 home 1903.