All Versions How to select the correct Resolution/Aspect Ratio [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
Jack0r submitted a new resource:

How to select the correct Resolution/Aspect Ratio - For perfect results without stretching or distorting your image.

You probably used a term like 16:9, 1080p, 1080i or similar yourself, but you maybe never felt the need to resize a picture or video and think about what aspect ratio will be suitable for the resize. Now some programs like OBS allow you to choose a downscale value which will keep the input aspect ratio intact. But sometimes you might wanna reach a different value which is not available with a downscale. Why is this even important you might ask? Take a look at this picture:...

Read more about this resource...

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
Added 21:9 and made a new picture:
iU1Mt1ppr8C9V.jpg

Phunky

Personally I use GPU scaling which keeps the output at my native resolution and scales accordingly, although I have to do this due to my monitor (Yamakasi Q270) not having any on-board scaler so it will refuse to output at some resolutions (1920x1440@120hz).

It's part of the Nvidia control panel tools and might be a simpler option for some, but this is still an awesome write up!

kakil

I don't know what to get rid of the black bars. I want to stream CS:GO and I have like 1024 x 768 and i use 1920 x 1080 in windows. what settings should i use to see ingame on the stream?

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
hey @kakil, you have a few options:
As the Video shows, you could set your stream to a 16:9 resolution, so your viewers will most likely not see black bars. But since your game is running in 4:3 format, you would see some black areas in OBS, which you have to fill with a nice graphic or include twitch chat or something like that. f you want to do that, set your OBS to 1280x720 for example, fit in your CS:Go (dont stretch it) by moving it for example to the left or right side, that gives you enough room on the other side to add some graphics etc as mentioned.
Second option, you could stream in 1024x768 directly. In this case if you view the stream on your desktop resolution or if your viewers watch it on a 16:9 monitor, they will always see black borders because of the different Aspect Ratio. In this case you cannot do anything with the black area, it will just be there.
Third option, play CS:Go in 16:9 resolution and benefit from the wider field of view (assuming the game correctly controls the fov depending on aspect ratio). In this case you could fill the whole stream with the CS window and would not have to worry about black borders. You could fit the OBS resolution according to your new resolution in Counterstrike. And also use the downscale options if necessary.

Winger1785

Is it NOT recommended to play a game "full screen"? I was trying to stream RCT last night and I never did have the rez or aspect right to show the game full screen on my channel.

MeeeX

I HAVE THIS PROBLEM BRO, don't know how put my game in ALL SCREEN. I try many times but don't work. Please help me

Attachments

• help.png
    help.png
    213.8 KB · Views: 284

MorGalad

My monitor is 1920x1200. When I set the base resolution in OBS Studio to these numbers I get black bars on the left adn right in twitch. What can I do besides putting additional stuff like logos there to mask it?

lafilmforum

I had two issues tonight. First time user, on a Mac running OS Mojave. Streaming from OBS to Vimeo live.
First we were trying to stream a show consisting of multiple short films with mixed aspect ratios, but mostly 4:3. The 4:3 films were being cropped in the 16:9 frame, and we were losing the top & bottom of the frames, whcih meant that we were also losing subtitles at the bottom. How do we stream a 4:3 frame? We would be happy to have bars on the side for the 4:3 films, or bars on the top and bottom for the 16:9 films, but we need them to run in the right ratios.
Second, I wanted to have a Zoom chat, and set it up as a Window Capture. It captured the frame, but it was expanding the frame a great deal, so that only a small portion of the zoom window was showing up. The red border to change the frame size wasn't even locatable because it had expended so much. We tried deleting the scene and recreating, and deleting the source within the scene, and it improved some, but the full window never became visible. Any suggestions for either?
I should have done a screen grab, but didn't.
Third issue, Vimeo -elated, was that when I stopped streaming to try to change the aspect ration in settings (only to find that there was no 4:3), Vimeo archived the stream immediately so I couldn't resume. Really irritating; if any of you know how to address, I'd love to hear it, but I will also contact Vimeo.)
Thank you!
Los Angeles Filmforum

GonzaloTurner

Personally I use GPU scaling which keeps the output at my native resolution and scales accordingly, although I have to do this due to my monitor (Yamakasi Q270) not having any on-board scaler so it will refuse to output at some resolutions (1920x1440@120hz).

It's part of the Nvidia control panel tools and might be a simpler option for some, but this is still an awesome write up!

Wow , my brother also has the same resolution for this. It is amazing really. My GPU is awesome. Your monitor (Yamakasi Q270) is amazing. Really.

NickSteel

I capture on a 1366x768 display (Thinkpad X230, Graphics 4000) for final play on a WD TV Live box feeding my 1920x1080 TV.
It is better to scale in OBS or let the WD Live box do it as it plays?

Status
Not open for further replies.