Question / Help How to open multiple instances of OBS?

CharType

I'd like to know how to open multiple instances of OBS. So, for example, I could record my webcam with one instance, and simultaneously record my screen with another instance. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Thanks.

c3r1c3

You have to start OBS with a command line argument, I think it's --portable.

An alternate way of doing what you mentioned is to set the base resolution to your desktop+webcam, record both and then cut in post.

Example: Your webcam runs at 1280x720 and your desktop runs at 1920x1080. Set your base resolution to 3200x1080 (1280+1920 for the width, and the tallest source for the height - 1080). Then put both in your scene.

CharType

I looked into starting OBS in Terminal and it looks like the command is "multi", and "open -n -a OBS.app" also works. Other than that both of those things work, and the way you suggest of recording both and cutting in post sounds like it may work better for my purposes. Thanks a bunch!

keybounce

What has worked for me for other programs is to make a second copy of the OBS app, and then double click that / pass that second directory name to the open command.