Question / Help how to improve chroma key in OBS

Danklim

Hi I am using the chroma key function and trying to remove the green halo around my hair and other parts of the image, Could you please help?

I have a lot of lights in the room and when I chroma key in final cut pro x, there is no green halo at all. I usually don’t need to change any settings in final cut pro x, it just works fine. However, when I use chroma key in OBS, there is some green halo and tinting on my hair and microphone. I just made a video recording in OBS and sent that to final cut pro x to make sure its not the camera or file or anything else and found that the same exact file has better chroma keying in final cut pro x than OBS.

Is there any way to improve the chroma key in OBS? I tried playing with all the filter settings in OBS (like contrast, spill level etc) and nothing there fixed it. Are there other effects/filters I should try adding? Or is the software for chroma keying in OBS just not as good as the chroma keying software in final cut pro x and there’s no way to fix it (except for buying more lights)?

Or is it possible to send the video through final cut pro x and back to OBS in real time, so that the final cut pro x chroma keyer processes it live instead of the OBS chroma keyer (and I can still broadcast live from OBS)?

Thanks, Dan

simsnet

Mac user here. FCP's Keyer effect uses internal clip references to create the best chroma key settings for clips, and therefore cannot be used live. Premiere's "Ultra Key" is very similar, but has an "aggressive" function and it is able to further process and trim color out of clips.

Those "halos" are a result of live chroma keying, which is very difficult to accomplish without excellent light levels, and even the best of setups will have small issues due to equipment limitations.

The best thing to do is to keep your background smooth (no wrinkles or impurities) and have consistent lighting throughout.

bibifricotin

I have the same exact problem... I have a bad green halo in my hair...does not look good, and playing with the different dials in the chromakey thing does not help at all. I am at a loss of what to do. can't possibly record of live stream with that halo effect...how are others doing?

have consistent lighting throughout.
This, and also try to get some distance between the subject and your background. Think of all green light coming off your background - the further you are from it and any colour reflective surface, the less fringing/glowing you'll experience. If you have the option of adding a hair light then even better, but that's starting to cost money.