Question / Help How to Exclude browser audio?

Mandosz

I have spent the last week trying to figure out how to do this. In the most simplified way possible I want the following.

My viewers hear
Game Sounds
My Microphone (so I can communicate with them)
Mumble (or other VoiP programs)
My Music (preferably itunes but I am flexible here)

My viewers DONT HEAR
Any and all sounds coming from Firefox, I do not want them to hear another stream I am watching while I stream, I dont want them to hear what I happen to be watching on Netflix (Twitch doesnt allow this) and I dont want them to hear whatever youtube video that I choose to open.

I have looked at Multiple guides on how to set up my audio for OBS and nothing works, at the end of setting everything up I still hear feedback loops if I unmute my own stream while monitoring, my viewers still hear netflix and other streams ect..

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Hopewithinchaos

Forum Moderator
If Firefox is going to the default Sound device, the one that you've selected for OBS to hear in the audio menu, the sound will automatically go through. If you don't want your browser audio go through, You have to mute the Browser in the audio mixer. You won't be able to hear it either. You can't just selectively choose to have the audio of one program not detected by OBS, without muting it completely. Also:

Why would you be watching another stream or netflix while you're streaming to twitch?

Mandosz

A) I moderate a friends channel in twitch and I like to stay active and be able to communicate in there and
B) I dont always have many viewers, sometimes only a couple at a time, im just trying to get started but Its extremely boring to sit and game without something to keep my attention, if I had a solid viewer base that actively talked to me it would be a non-issue

Hopewithinchaos

Forum Moderator
...One would think the game would be the thing keeping your attention. What you're asking about just isn't possible, sorry.

Mandosz

You say it isnt possible but I see streamers every day who have managed to do what I am after in one way or another, problem is 99% of the time they are too busy in their channel that they dont see my questions and when they do they arent willing to take the time to walk me through how they did it. Maybe their ways arent as direct as what im after but its done all the same :\

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
Yup (I wrote that guide) you cannot exclude browser sound as it will always go to your default device. What you can sometimes do is select the audio device in your game and other software to exclude it, but there is very often at least one tool that wont allow you to select the audio device (often the game).
What I would recommend is to use livestreamer or whats it called? To watch your other streams in VLC player for example. That way you could select the output device of VLC and easily exclude those sounds from your stream. But this will probably not work for netflix.

Mandosz

well thanks for the info, ive heard some suggestions that I may be able to exclude Microsoft Silverlight and Flash respectively as those should be outputting the sounds technically not the browser itself. Although how to do it is beyond me, requires more research

patrickcameron

I found you can mute a browser source audio for a youtube webpage/video by typing "YourBrowserSourceNameHere.muted = true;" in the CSS command section of the browser source properties... perhaps that might help you or someone... There is also an interactive section in right click menu for the source, you could manually enable or disable audio for a particular browser source.