Question / Help High CPU usage/lagging (good computer)

Hi guys,

I've just started streaming for about a week now and am occasionally experiencing lagg and high CPU usage.
I am currently streaming the game RuneScape and use a client for it called OSBuddy. It's not that the stream is lagging, my internet connection is fine aswell. (see picture below)

SWCGk2i.png

Process overview (about 50% CPU usage):

Bo1kxPz.png

OBS settings - Encoding:

riWk25u.png

OBS settings - Video:

fV1z18O.png

OBS settings - Advanced:

GeR7U5C.png

My laptop specs:
  • 4th gen. Intel i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz quadcore processor
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M 2GB graphics card
  • 24GB DD3 RAM (Crosair Vengeance)
  • Windows 7 Professional

So the issue I have is that OSBuddy (the game RuneScape) laggs and makes it harder to play. My CPU also reaches temperatures around 80° celcius.

Could anyone check my settings and let me know how to resolve the lagg?

I hope I've posted enough information, if not, please let me know.
Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Jay.

Rotab

18% usage by OBS isn't a lot.
If your CPU reaches 80c at only 50% load, you seem to have a cooling issue. (Or just laptop things? :/)

If you reaally want to reduce OBS usage, try downscaling. But it will of course reduce your streams quality.
Or don't run two clients at once, or try the official OS client as OSBuddy supposedly uses more CPU.

18% usage by OBS isn't a lot.
If your CPU reaches 80c at only 50% load, you seem to have a cooling issue. (Or just laptop things? :/)

If you reaally want to reduce OBS usage, try downscaling. But it will of course reduce your streams quality.
Or don't run two clients at once, or try the official OS client as OSBuddy supposedly uses more CPU.

Yeah the CPU heat is probably ''normal'' for a laptop.

I just found out, and forgot to mention that I do use compatibility mode to stream. This because my laptop has two video cards and shows a black screen if I don't use this. I'm not sure how much this ''compatibility mode" has influence on the CPU usage/lag.

I don't really want to downscale, it's already at 1280x720 which is perfect.

The game also laggs if I run one client, just slightly less.

edit: here is a log, if it is any use to someone
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/06e1251a1c7088eb485f

I'm currently not using the compatibility mode anymore as I fixed the issue. It doesn't fix the lag 100% though.
Could anyone else give me some tips/info about the settings?

dping

I'm currently not using the compatibility mode anymore as I fixed the issue. It doesn't fix the lag 100% though.
Could anyone else give me some tips/info about the settings?
change fps to 30fps. your quality shouldn't suffer and OBS will use less CPU

Marcin

which model? operating hours?
Notebook internal cleaning:

Clean the processor and graphics card fan
Replace the thermal grease?

When the last time?

Download this: HWMONITOR

and WATCH
luefter02mtudk.jpg

I have been streaming today and the lagg was horrible. In the end I even got the notification ''WARNING: High encoding CPU usage! Consider turning down settings.

What is going on...

dping

I have been streaming today and the lagg was horrible. In the end I even got the notification ''WARNING: High encoding CPU usage! Consider turning down settings.

What is going on...
post another logfile of the session that this happened.

dping

Here are logs and the log analyse.
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/e886bd07f2b0159e7bd2
https://obsproject.com/analyzer?url=https://gist.github.com/anonymous/e886bd07f2b0159e7bd2

I have no idea how that CLRHost thing with TwitchAlerts happened though.
First, set your nvidia control panel to use OBS then in the video tab of OBS switch to your nvidia control panel. test again, 720@50fps is a bit borderline for a mobile i7 but still should do it make sure runescape is also in the nvidia control panel.

Rotab

720@50fps is a bit borderline for a mobile i7 but still should do it make sure runescape is also in the nvidia control panel.

Running two game clients on top of that might be too much. The game is software rendered.

First, set your nvidia control panel to use OBS then in the video tab of OBS switch to your nvidia control panel. test again, 720@50fps is a bit borderline for a mobile i7 but still should do it make sure runescape is also in the nvidia control panel.

I've had that before, it doesn't really make a difference.
Currently, I have my Intel Graphics enabled for OBS and OSBuddy but it seems that my laptop automatically switches to the nvidia card when a lot of CPU is used (?)

I changed the settings to 720p@30fps and will stream tonight to test.

Running two game clients on top of that might be too much. The game is software rendered.

Yes, but even one client laggs.

80 degrees is not normal, that will definitely cause the cpu to downclock.

Probably yeah, I've ordered a cooling pad and hope this will work.

Additional info:
The warning message (High Encoding etc...) appeared after a few hours of streaming. The game didn't seem to lagg at start, but wasn't running smoothly.

edit: Somehow setting OSBuddy to use the nvidia graphics card won't work. I think this is because it's an .exe file and is not installed. (this client doesn't require installation)

I can either run OBS on my Intel Graphics card so I don't have to use the compatibility mode, or let it run on my nvidia graphics card which causes overheat (?) and requires me to use the compatibility mode.

Last edited:

dping

I've had that before, it doesn't really make a difference.
Currently, I have my Intel Graphics enabled for OBS and OSBuddy but it seems that my laptop automatically switches to the nvidia card when a lot of CPU is used (?)

I changed the settings to 720p@30fps and will stream tonight to test.

Yes, but even one client laggs.

Probably yeah, I've ordered a cooling pad and hope this will work.

Additional info:
The warning message (High Encoding etc...) appeared after a few hours of streaming. The game didn't seem to lagg at start, but wasn't running smoothly.

edit: Somehow setting OSBuddy to use the nvidia graphics card won't work. I think this is because it's an .exe file and is not installed. (this client doesn't require installation)

I can either run OBS on my Intel Graphics card so I don't have to use the compatibility mode, or let it run on my nvidia graphics card which causes overheat (?) and requires me to use the compatibility mode.
heatpads dont work worth crap. I would personally just either take it to be cleaned or do it yourself if you feel confident.

disable the OBS preview window. right click on the preview, click preview again, then uncheck "enable view"

Tried that aswell, doesn't help quite a lot...
I just tried a test stream, OSBuddy (RuneScape) should run around 50FPS.

With OBS open I get around 30FPS... This can't be an issue because of my laptop right? :/

dping

Tried that aswell, doesn't help quite a lot...
I just tried a test stream, OSBuddy (RuneScape) should run around 50FPS.

With OBS open I get around 30FPS... This can't be an issue because of my laptop right? :/
That in combination with heat throttling, and/or unoptimized software, in combination with a high CPU usage, multi-thread software, it very well could be.

That in combination with heat throttling, and/or unoptimized software, in combination with a high CPU usage, multi-thread software, it very well could be.

I will try to open my laptop this weekend and check for any dust. I am currently streaming at 30 fps, with the nvidia card. Reaching temperatures around 70 degrees celcius.

Do you think the stream would run better (so no/less lagg) on the Intel Graphics card or the nvidia which causes my laptop to heat up?

By the way guys, all tips are welcome. This lagg is kind of getting me to the point to stop streaming.

dping

I will try to open my laptop this weekend and check for any dust. I am currently streaming at 30 fps, with the nvidia card. Reaching temperatures around 70 degrees celcius.

Do you think the stream would run better (so no/less lagg) on the Intel Graphics card or the nvidia which causes my laptop to heat up?

By the way guys, all tips are welcome. This lagg is kind of getting me to the point to stop streaming.
you might need some good thermal compound depending on if you have to remove the heatpipe to get to the fan/heatsync area. Just be careful. and I would do some real research.

your tJunction temps for your CPU are around 100c and even though you are reading 70c, that is still tad hot imo, but not unexpected. spend some decent $ on a thermal paste and dont use a metalic based compound like arctic silver. use something ceramic-based or i've seen a few that have diamond in them that work pretty good.