Question / Help Help... OBS "suppressing" CPU clock by 300Mhz???

ihatecars

Monitoring software : CPU-Z, HWMonitor, RealTemp.
CPU : 7700K (stress tested with air cooler 5.0Ghz@1.328V, 76C max)
GPU : GTX 670
RAM : Patriot Viper 4 8GB x2
MoBo : ASRock Z270 Taichi
PSU : EVGA 850 G2

WITHOUT OBS running, my PC is fine. Passes benches at 5.0, plays games at 5.0, etc etc.

What I have noticed so far with OBS running and playing GTA5,
- While streaming, CPU multiplier mostly runs at 47, with occasional jumps to 50 but is knocked back down to 47 within a second or two.
- Not streaming, CPU multiplier runs at 47, but it jumps UP to 50 periodically (every 5~10 seconds) but comes back down to 47, only to jump up again and repeat.

And when running benchmarks, CPU multiplier starts 50, but it jumps DOWN to 47 periodically (every 4~7 seconds) but mostly stays at 50.

With google search I have found these three other threads but none of them helped.
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2854714/cpu-multiplier-drops-load.html
Tried Vcore up to 1.38V, no luck.

https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/cs-go-obs-using-not-full-power-of-cpu.28923/
AND
https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/cpu-clock-drops-randomly-while-i-stream.12940/
I do not believe my temps are causing clock to drop since benchmarks have made my CPU hotter than gaming + streaming, and the benchmarks did not cause thermal throttling. But just to be on the safe(haha) side, I disabled thermal throttling in BIOS.

Out of curiosity I set my CPU multiplier to 48 and 49 and tried the same things, and OBS caused the multipliers to drop to 45 and 46, respectively. Therefore I came toa conclusion that the multiplier isn't dropping "to" 47, but rather dropping "-3" off of max.

Any suggestions where I should start looking? I'm thinking of a clean reinstall of Windows out of desperation.
Thanks for reading!

ihatecars

If OBS isn't doing it, then OBS must be triggering something in the OS hmm....

Also when I used the same OBS 64 in Win7 with OC'd 3570K it didn't do this despite reaching 90C... I'm still new to Win10 so any idea why the clock drops 300Mhz only when OBS is running? How does Windows work with OBS??

Last edited:

ihatecars

So does anyone know what I have to "disable" on Win10 to stop this from happening??

Like.. I'm not an idiot I know OBS is highly unlikely to have a code regulating CPU clock.. but if it causes Windows to do so... what is it!! I'm very new to Win 10.

ihatecars

SOLVED!!!!!

Osiris and fatmatrow were correct that OBS doesn't do anything directly. BUT!!

I kept thinking, since 6700K runs at 4.2Ghz for single core but 4.0Ghz for 2+ cores, hence the 4.0Ghz etching on the IHS, Kaby would behave the same way. Pre-OC, I saw 7700K running @ 4.5Ghz occasionally but it's got 4.2Ghz etched on the IHS so maybe... some Windows thing is knocking the OC down by 300Mhz because OBS is "clearly" a multi-core program.

But at the same time, (apparently) OBS is AVX workload, and .... there is a thing called "AVX ratio offset" in BIOS -____-;
And guess what it was set to *drumroll* 3!!! (with BCLK of 100Mhz)

Solution : Disable AVX ratio offset in BIOS.

PS : Thanks for all the points in the right direction! Also I'm an idiot.

Last edited: