Question / Help Help getting videos from VLC playlist to be centered and sized properly

Panky

The GOAL:
Broadcast a playlist of old pd videos – these videos have differing aspects ratios and resolutions – videos should be centered and scaled to touch the border(s) while retaining correct aspect (like VLC does in full-screen mode).

Here’s what happens when I use “VLC VIDEO SOURCE” as the source:
the GOOD > Play as viewed on the web is fine, as good as can be expected for 48 FPS…
The BAD > CENTERING and SIZE all change around from videos of one size/resolution (old TV show in 4:3 for example) to video of another size/resolution (old movie in 16:9 for example).

Here’s what happens when I use “WINDOW CAPTURE” as the source:
the GOOD > When capturing the VLC window in full screen, the aspect and centering is correct…
The BAD > Play as viewed on the web is CHOPPY or perhaps simply LOW FRAME RATE. (Frame rate in “Settings” is still the same 48 FPS).
Processor load here on the 2GHz laptop while doing this is around 70%.

So, what am I doing wrong? Can I get both the smooth play of using an MP4 file (from the VLC Playlist) as the source - AND - the correct centering and size of using a Window Capture of VLC playing the videos ?????

I will post any log file or screen caps that y’all may think would help with this issue, but am not sure which/when/what log file(s) would be useful.

(What happened to my first post of this issue (yesterday afternoon)? It seems to have disappeared...)

koala

Use VLC media source. Then right-click this source->Transform->Edit Transform. In that dialog, you can define how the source window will behave on size changes and where to position the video if it does not occupy the whole space. I assume you will choose center for both alignments. If you want every video to scale to the canvas, right-click the source->Fit to screen or Center to screen before you fine tune the settings.

Panky

Well I'll be danged - I've clicked so many things, this must be the one I missed! Will give it a try - thanks K.

edit ---> works perfectly - thanks again...

Last edited: