Question / Help Hard FPS drop while game is over 60 fps.

Sh010

Hello,

Im back after my 1 Year absence and i wanted to go back live again.
Been testing my stream for a week now and i can not explain why i have a big FPS drop.

The case is:

Im playing Rust on a PC build:
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3,50 Ghz -> OC 4,7 Ghz
  • GPU: MSI Radeon RX 470 8GB
  • RAM: Hyper X 16GB RAM
Been encoding it with the x264 processor encoder. In game while streaming i have 90 FPS but OBS is struggeling at huge FPS drops to 23 and below. If i lock the game at 60 fps everything is all right. The game runs smooth and obs has no problem to keep the 60 fps at 720p.

My question is... is there a solution to keep the game at the 90 FPS while OBS has no problem to drop fps below 60?

Its always play the games over 60 FPS thats because i wrote this thread. Been seaching the problem on the Formus but cant find a specific on that is near my problem.

Additional question -> Is there a chance to have the AMD encoder streaming the same quality as the x264 on twitch?

It will be great if someone would answer my question. Thanks guys.

BK-Morpheus

You could post a log file, so we can see, if the drop is related to an GPU overload or CPU overload.
Usually windows will prioritize GPU resources for games, so OBS will have a hard time rendering your scene (which is done by the GPU, no matter which encoder you choose), if your game is maxing out the GPU.
Higher ingame fps will also increase the CPU load, so it's also possible, that this is the bottleneck.