Question / Help GPU Encoding under Linux using AMD and/or Intel - Any ideas?

cRaZy-bisCuiT

Hey Folks,

I got a system with AMD Polaris RX 480 GPU (+ AMDGPU + MESA 13) and Intel iGP. Is there a way to use GPU encoding under Linux with this setup? I'd like to either ....

• use AMD for Gaming and encoding
  • use AMD for Gaming and Intel for encoding

I know Quicksync is supposed to work under Linux - it seems just not to be implemented in OBS. Is there a way doing that with FFMPEG? Is there a way to use something like VA-API, VDPAU ... for AMD or Intel?

I've been searching the whole web for that but didn't find any convinient information regarding OBS + Linux for that. The only thing I did find were things like that [0] (and similiar things) and a feature request for that in this forum ...

[0] https://www.wowza.com/forums/conten...gure-Quick-Sync-accelerated-encoding-on-Linux

ShadWolf

When it comes to using dual-graphics setup, whether it's AMD+Intel or NVIDIA+Intel, it's pretty messy to configure these two to work together in sync that allows automatic switching between each GPU at once. This is due to limitation of X11 being built on old outdated code that was never intended for such setups where you can mix two different GPU's together and run them at the same time. However it looks a lot more promising with Wayland as it does things differently in how the GPU setups are handled. You'll just need to Google it to find out how you change your distro from using X11 to Wayland instead.

Johan Blome

Would it not be possible to allow vaapi to do the encoding (with ffmpeg)? I get at least a four fold boost when encoding 1080p with vaapi in ffmpeg. I do not know how it looks inside OBS (I am new to OBS) but it seems as the full yuv frames should be written to the /dev/dri/renderX . How are the frames fed to ffmpeg?

Last edited:

cRaZy-bisCuiT

Would it not be possible to allow vaapi to do the encoding (with ffmpeg)? I get at least a four fold boost when encoding 1080p with vaapi in ffmpeg. I do not know how it looks inside OBS (I am new to OBS) but it seems as the full yuv frames should be written to the /dev/dri/renderX . How are the frames fed to ffmpeg?
Actually that's my plan as well since FFMPEG at least supports encoding with vaapi + AMD (I'm note sure if Intel works as well).

For some reason either no one knows how to manage it or isn't willing to share those information. I got vaapi encoding running in the terminal with AMD + FFMPEG + VAAPI just finde - I just have no idea how to get it working with the custom output. :/

DomP

Hello cRaZy-bisCuiT,

are u wiling to help me getting ffmpeg + vaapi working with a amd GPU? I work on ubunt and have a Pro WX 7100 GPU. Would love to have it work with ffmpeg.

Thanks for your help.
Dominique