Question / Help Getting low FPS, and twitch reports long keyframe rates

keybounce

So I'm getting about 5 FPS on my stream, and twitch is reporting that it is seeing 4 seconds between key frames. And I'm trying to understand why.

My video bandwidth is set to 1500 (audio 128); testing shows I can do at least 2500 (specifically, testing with the built-in support in Minecraft reports between 2500 and 2750). Yet I'm looking at over 8000 dropped frames (23%) in a one hour test that was either a text window sitting idle for 30 minutes, or a browser window visiting twitch and looking at my stream status, or coming here to ask for help.

MacBook pro, 15 inch, retina display.
FPS rate set to 10; x264 preset "very fast"; custom setting "keyint=5".
CPU is over 85% idle according to activity monitor.
Fans are only running at about 3K rpm, and barely audible -- so it's not a hot system getting thermal overload, not CPU starvation (none of the 4 primary cores are loaded), the discrete GPU is active (GeForce 750 m).

Firefox, Kernel, and OBS are all around 14% CPU according to activity monitor, and after that is core audio (10%), shockwave flash (10%), LaudioCast (5%), and syslog (5% -- software sound loop device constantly logs debugging statements).

In other words, no CPU intensive programs, no GPU intensive programs, plenty of idle CPU, network output is between 225 and 250 KB/s, application output speed is below max, yet I still get lots of dropped frames, only about 5 FPS when I asked for 10, and even with keyframe rate of every 5 frames, still excessively long gaps for Twitch to complain.

Help? Please?

EDIT: Forgot these numbers: Base resolution 1708x960, scaled resolution 854x480, using "window capture", and "Text (Freetype 2)".