Question / Help Game Capture not working

Robinson

I was streaming yesterday and all was fine, I load up OBS to stream today and get an Update, I do it, as why not, suddenly now my Game Capture isn't picking up any games at all.

Tried running as Admin - Restarting OBS - Restarting game.

Lost as to what to do, any suggestions? Think the update may have been the cause but I'm not too sure

Volairen

Also have the same problem now. I just updated it wtf black screeen every time same as above...Can someone please address...

Harold

Actually it does matter, because games that are using excessively paranoid anti-cheat components are blocking the update until it gets whitelisted on their side.

Try with a blizzard game like diablo 3 or heroes of the storm.

Falklan

"Actually it does matter, because games that are using excessively paranoid anti-cheat components are blocking the update until it gets whitelisted on their side"

You missed the point of what I was talking about, but you are correct. I meant that any window I tried to display wasn't working.

After that, I did what you said and I actually have one game working with Game Capture... :)

AlwaysSomething

Yes, I can report the same issue. I found the pointless footage I had recorded after recording some amazingly cool footage too. Which was nice. (said in the tone, style, and prowse of Bertram Gilfoyle)

Last edited:

Klur0su

I think releases is getting worse since 18.0.1 but... have you people try to give OBS threaded optimization on Nvidia panel control?
running obs with adm. permission will help too.

Harold

I think releases is getting worse since 18.0.1
We could do a release that does nothing but change the version number with absolutely no code changes and people would still claim that the new version was worse. That's not a good argument.

ALL the reports of 19.0.3 breaking game capture so far come from people who are trying to capture games with overparanoid anti-cheat components.

Robinson

Nothing is working, the so called update has made it to not capture anything, I have enabled the Anti cheat hook, but still nothing, hopefully they come up with a fix.

Harold

Except that I'm able to capture the games I know work fine.

Try capturing Heroes of the Storm.

Klur0su

We could do a release that does nothing but change the version number with absolutely no code changes and people would still claim that the new version was worse. That's not a good argument.

ALL the reports of 19.0.3 breaking game capture so far come from people who are trying to capture games with overparanoid anti-cheat components.
You are very wrong my friend.
Take no offense but you need more intel to post in that way.
in release 19.01 they forgot to implement some Nidia codecs to optimize the ENV codec as in 18.0.2 (as you can see if you'll read the github pushes) release and in this one the crashes and lag is the biggest issue.
Some people really know stuff to stream at 720p 30fps and 19.0.3 is still worst than 18.0.2

cheers

Harold

in release 19.01 they forgot to implement some Nidia codecs to optimize the ENV codec as in 18.0.2 (as you can see if you'll read the github pushes)
Link the commit that broke it then.

Osiris

in release 19.01 they forgot to implement some Nidia codecs to optimize the ENV codec as in 18.0.2 (as you can see if you'll read the github pushes) release and in this one the crashes and lag is the biggest issue.
Some people really know stuff to stream at 720p 30fps and 19.0.3 is still worst than 18.0.2

cheers

The change you are talking about was reverted and never re-implemented.

https://github.com/jp9000/obs-studio/commit/1738adf021b5566d8851c9d81a390056935c4488

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
This patch was bug fixes and one tweak in the UI, and nothing more.

There was a game capture bug fix was because Oculus Rift games couldn't be captured. That's all that it fixed. That fix does not break other games (because we tested). That fix does not affect other games.

So, why might some people have some problems? It's not because of the change, but because I had to update the game capture hook DLLs for 19.0.3, I also have to digitally sign those new DLL files -- however, because code signing certificates expire after one year, I had to use my renewal for this year instead of the old one, which expired. So naturally, anti-cheats and possibly even anti-viruses may have to whitelist the renewal certificate. (Note however that beforehand I contacted most of them and have already white-listed with most, such as Easy Anti-Cheat used with games like Rust/Squad/Paladins, Battleye used with games like ARMA/PUBG/H1Z1, etc. Most anti-virus software has already whitelisted the new certificate as far as I'm aware because I already started using it with 19.0). However, I can't always catch everything. There's always going to be some game that might have some anti-cheat code that may not have whitelisted the DLL yet, or some anti-virus that may not have either. Especially with a hook DLL.

So, if you just have some particular game that's not being captured, please state the game specifically -- yes, it is important. It's always important. If it's all games, please state if you use anti-virus software or not, and if so, which software you use.

In addition, always please include a log file link generated from the help menu from a session where you had this issue happen just in case there was something noteworthy about the case mentioned in there, or maybe something specific to your system that might be as well.

(Edit: Sorry Robinson -- edited my original post because I didn't mean to seem like I was blaming you there, I was mostly talking about the followup posters who were unfortunately fear mongering saying things like "every patch is getting worse!" and things like that when all I did was release a bug fix patch)

Last edited:

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer

cheers

How about I give you actual real proper intel directly from the developer who pushed those particular commits, which you seem to be bringing up almost out of nowhere for some inexplicable reason, and in which you unfortunately make incorrect assumptions about: we implemented a change to NVENC briefly to default to the "hq" preset instead of the one it normally uses (aptly named "default"). However, after releasing it, we discovered that some much older NVIDIA GPUs did not support the "hq" preset, and naturally that got past our testing, so the affected users would get an error message (not a crash) when trying to start a stream or recording with NVENC, that's all. So we simply reverted that change as soon as possible in 19.0.1, pretty much the very next patch, and reverted NVENC back to the way it was. There was nothing "forgotten", and it had absolutely nothing to do with crashes or lag. It again was also reverted almost immediately.

That change has absolutely nothing to do with the issue mentioned in this thread and I cannot fathom why it was brought in to the discussion.

I understand that sometimes you may have issues, but please avoid fear mongering and making assumptions about code changes, especially when you yourself are not a developer and did not even ask any developer about the commits in the first place. Every single patch I release whether major or minor someone has a problem that coincidentally coincides with the release, blames the patch, claims everything's broken, claims that every patch is getting worse, just fear mongering left and right every time even when I don't even change anything in the code remotely close to the problems they report. I am well aware of the state of the program as the program has a lot of users, and I make sure that those problems are patched ASAP as soon as I see them. But it's so frustrating to come on the forums and see this sort of baseless fear mongering and blatant misinformation like this time and time again every time I release a patch however small the patch might be.