Question / Help Game Capture is too dark

theplumdot

Hello,

I've recently downloaded and set up OBS Studio on my new PC. I am wanting to record (not stream at the moment) The Sims 3.

I have noticed that in full screen mode, the game capture is very dark; however, in windowed mode, the capture isn't affected. I would really like to record in full screen mode - is there a setting that I'm missing or should be paying attention to?

TIA!

EBrito

Check advanced settings:

YUV color range FULL gives more saturated and dark colors. Switch to partial.

theplumdot

Thank you EBrito.

I did try that but it's still dark.

I think the general consensus of Simmers is that for the Studio version, you have to play in windowed mode. The classic version apparently allows for full screen mode as the gamma can be adjusted.

I have a pretty powerful rig and I've watched a few tutorials on set up, but I get confused on the encoders. Is x264 really better than the Nvidia option?

EBrito

x264 gets better results than NVENC for same bitrate.
NVENC has improved lately, but it can´t get the same quality.

redskor

I'm new as of today to recording. I seem to have set up alright but I can't for the life of me figure out how to fix the darkness problem I'm getting using this program.

Here's a ink to my test...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-b1MItY_rw

There's some glitching and I've already tied YUV-partial and added a filter. I tried searching for a solution in the PDF you linked but I couldn't find anything on this.

lynxstalker

heya, redskor, found a solution to the problem, you just need to make sure that "Allow Transparency" is not checked in the sources options, by clicking the cog next to sources, (or find the allow transparency option, and disable it