Question / Help Game Capture is not working for certain older games

GarouxBloodline

Will keep this simple and concise: I play a lot of older games, and while I usually do not have a problem streaming them, there are a few exceptions, which really bums me out since they are perfect streaming games in my opinion.
For instance, I can stream games like System Shock II (original disc, not on Steam or GoG) just fine on OBS. However, when it comes to games like Doom 3 or Enclave, OBS refuses to acknowledge these game's existence. The recent one is Enclave, as I would love to stream that game, and any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks, and please let me know if any additional details are needed.

For further clarification, the issue is nothing like a black-screen after adding a new scene. When creating a new Game Capture source, OBS refuses to recognize certain games, even when they are playing in the background.

Last edited:

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
You may just have to run OBS as administrator for certain games to show up.

GarouxBloodline

You may just have to run OBS as administrator for certain games to show up.

Alright, here is the deal: Running it as an Administrator did indeed allow OBS to recognize Enclave. However, a black screen is all that met me after creating the Game Capture source, so I s'pose I will need to upload my OBS logs. If it helps at all to diagnose the issue, here is the respective log:

Attachments

• 2014-06-11-1452-33.log
    5.4 KB · Views: 128

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
The game probably doesn't use DX9 or OpenGL since game capture didn't find anything to hook. You'll have to run it in windowed mode with window capture.

GarouxBloodline

The game probably doesn't use DX9 or OpenGL since game capture didn't find anything to hook. You'll have to run it in windowed mode with window capture.

It was released in 2002, so that makes sense. Thank you for the help, and I will try windowed mode next.

GarouxBloodline

It seems we have a new problem, and I believe I know what the problem is. Games like Doom 3 and Enclave, will not allow you to minimize by hitting the windows key. It requires ctrl-alt-deleting, and going into the task manager to return to your desktop. What this means, is that when attempting to capture the game using windowed mode, it registers the task manager as being the last thing you were looking at instead of the game.

Is there a known work-around for this issue? Something I am being too dense to find myself?

FerretBomb

Turn on hotkey capture and hit the button when you're in-game. Alternately, set up a game capture while the game is running, then select the game from the dropdown list of active processes in the Game Capture source properties.

GarouxBloodline

Turn on hotkey capture and hit the button when you're in-game. Alternately, set up a game capture while the game is running, then select the game from the dropdown list of active processes in the Game Capture source properties.

1. I cannot use hotkey capture when using windowed mode.
2. I have to be frank, here: if you are not going to read my forum, then please do not try and post help. I am sorry if that is rude, but I hate redundancy, as it has already explained earlier how and why I cannot use game capture in this case.

FerretBomb

True. But you CAN use the dropdown box to select the process/window you want to capture. The hotkey was addressed more toward not being able to minimize the game without bringing up the task manager, generally indicating that you were playing in fullscreen, and likely using game capture as a result.

And I don't have any problem with being rude. If you're going to respond like that to people trying to give you a hand getting your stuff working, as most anyone who bothers to READ the config dialogues can, then don't expect many responses when you have another problem. Good luck!

GarouxBloodline

True. But you CAN use the dropdown box to select the process/window you want to capture. The hotkey was addressed more toward not being able to minimize the game, indicating that you were playing in fullscreen.

And I don't have any problem with being rude. If you're going to respond like that to people trying to give you a hand getting your stuff working, as most anyone who bothers to READ the config dialogues can, then don't expect many responses when you have another problem. Good luck!

That has already been addressed: I got OBS to recognize Enclave after running it as an Administrator, which means yes, I have already been able to use the drop-down menu to begin streaming the game in question. That is not the problem anymore. The problem now is that the screen is black when streaming, and after uploading a log here, it has been revealed it is because it is an old enough game that it does not utilize DX9 or OpenGL, meaning I cannot use game capture on Enclave.

I did not want to repeat what has already been discussed, but there you go. And as you noticed, I have been quite polite and thankful towards those that genuinely gave an effort to help with relevant information/questions. So to be honest again, I am perfectly fine with no longer receiving responses from those that post redundant help that no longer holds any relevancy towards my problem.

Now, I would like to digress from that matter and return to the original topic at hand. The question at the moment is how I can get games to run in windowed mode, when I have to use ctrl-alt-delete to return to my desktop, and then getting windowed mode to recognize the game, which it currently is not able to since it only recognizes the last thing you were looking at, which in this case I am forced to look at the task manager last before bringing OBS back up.

FerretBomb

Window captures have the same type of dropdown at the top of the source properties box. Click, select the appropriate process, done. No 'last process I looked at' anywhere in the process whatsoever.

If the process isn't in the dropdown list and IS running in windowed mode (window capture cannot capture fullscreen games unless they are fullscreen borderless), it may not be creating a window via standard means (SuperCrateBox is a prime example of this sort of behaviour). At which point you either try a Game Capture again instead and hope it's there, or if not you are forced to fall back to a Monitor Capture.

GarouxBloodline

Window captures have the same type of dropdown at the top of the source properties box. Click, select the appropriate process, done. No 'last process I looked at' anywhere in the process whatsoever.

If the process isn't in the dropdown list and IS running in windowed mode (window capture cannot capture fullscreen games unless they are fullscreen borderless), it may not be creating a window via standard means (SuperCrateBox is a prime example of this sort of behaviour). At which point you either try a Game Capture again instead and hope it's there, or if not you are forced to fall back to a Monitor Capture.

That is really odd - when bumping myself back onto the desktop, Enclave shows for a moment before the task manager takes priority and replaces it. I really hope I do not have to resort to monitor mode...

GarouxBloodline

The game should not disappear from the dropdown list, even if the active window changes.

Going to provide a screenshot of what it looks like once I am able to get back into OBS after ctrl-alt-deleting back onto the desktop. In the task-bar, the icon used next to the task manager is the game I am attempting to stream:

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    227.4 KB · Views: 177

FerretBomb

That's quite strange, it's not seeing any of your other open programs. Normally it'd list things like Firefox, Skype, BNet and whatnot. Are you running OBS in administrator mode, and the game/other programs as a standard/different user account?

GarouxBloodline

That's quite strange, it's not seeing any of your other open programs. Normally it'd list things like Firefox, Skype, BNet and whatnot. Are you running OBS in administrator mode, and the game/other programs as a standard/different user account?

I am currently running OBS as an Administrator, and all of my games run through a single user account. I can explain a bit, though: OBS recognizes my other programs, but I have to bring them up while creating a windowed mode source for them to show up. It just seems to be a select few games that are giving me issues.

FerretBomb

Try running OBS as the same user account that you're running the game on. Just to test and see, with a blank scene and just one window capture to make sure. I'm pretty sure it may show up that way, but not when being run as a different user account.

GarouxBloodline

Try running OBS as the same user account that you're running the game on. Just to test and see, with a blank scene and just one window capture to make sure. I'm pretty sure it may show up that way, but not when being run as a different user account.

Running OBS as normal is what I first attempted to do, and it was only when running as an Administrator that I was able to get it to show up as a game capture source. I will try using a blank scene, however - never really thought to try that.

GarouxBloodline

No results, unfortunately.