Question / Help *FIXED* (Recording) Screen freezing at the beginning of video but audio continues.

Ninety9

The screen freezes and stays for 4-8 seconds (Only in the recording; The OBS Preview and In-Game keeps running normally), after that time everything in the recording becomes normal.
That never happened to me before.
Forgive me if I mispelled or said something wrong, I'm not a native english speaker.

****After some tweaking and thinking I've found a solution.****
Solution: I've changed my encoder from Nvidia NVENC H.264 to Nvidia NVENC H.265 which is waaay better.
This may help people who have High End Specs and are experiencing problems like stuttering and freezes, I think(?).

How to do it:
- Open OBS
- File
- Settings
- Output
- Output Mode: Advanced
- Recording tab
- Type: Custom Output
- Video Encoder: nvenc_hevc

Every other setting it's up to you.
customoutputnvenc.jpg

Attachments

• 2019-01-04 16-20-13.txt
    6.5 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:

DEDRICK

CQP 7 is extremely large, overkill even. See if it still happens at CQP 23, as a test, you can lower it to something reasonable later.
Also see if disabling Kaspersky has any affect.

Are you writing to a HDD or SSD?

Ninety9

CQP 7 is extremely large, overkill even. See if it still happens at CQP 23, as a test, you can lower it to something reasonable later.
Also see if disabling Kaspersky has any affect.

Are you writing to a HDD or SSD?

I've tried using CQP 23 + Disabling Kaspersky, same results
I'm using a Kingston SSD 480GB 500MB/s

Ninety9

So, I've noticed that when I start recording my Enconder Overloads.
I've tried to keep the settings at minimum and that still happened, it only happens at the first seconds of the recording and it doesn't happens afterwards.

I need someone to give me a insight...

gogortgo

How I addressed this was to add a USB flash drive to my machine and set the recording path to that drive.

Read on for the details:

I have a fairly high end but older system that I added a 6TB drive into. I also have a NVidia 2060 super with video encoding. So CPU and encoding was not the issue.

I was trying to record a few things that were over 5 minutes long for a class but kept experiencing video freezes in my recordings. I followed the advice on changing priorities and running as administrator as well as lowing the quality but to no avail. Still saw the video freezing in the middle for a few seconds.

I guessed that the problem might be the system blocking writes to my hard drive, so I plugged in an USB drive and set the path to write to that drive. I have had success multiple times in a row with no stutter or video freezing.

I believe the trick is to save your recording to a drive that is not the same one on which you are running your OS.

Give this a try and if it works for you leave some positive feedback so others will know if they should also try it.