Question / Help Encoding Overloaded...?

Kakarot64

I am getting this message while I try to stream using OBS Studio. What does this mean and how do I fix it?

upload_2016-2-17_18-35-29.png

Corwynn

It means your settings are too high for your PC to handle. Different hardware and software combinations result in different thresholds for "how high" you can go. Some people can stream their games in full HD at high bitrate with "slower" presets without a problem. Others have to drop their resolution, bitrate, and use some of the fastest presets.

Basically you need to find a sweet spot for your system, and what you're doing. It helps to eliminate every single program that you do not need while you are streaming. (Don't just leave your browser open with a dozen tabs in it because you're lazy. Don't just have random task tray programs running. Only the ones you need.)

Kakarot64

It means your settings are too high for your PC to handle. Different hardware and software combinations result in different thresholds for "how high" you can go. Some people can stream their games in full HD at high bitrate with "slower" presets without a problem. Others have to drop their resolution, bitrate, and use some of the fastest presets.

Basically you need to find a sweet spot for your system, and what you're doing. It helps to eliminate every single program that you do not need while you are streaming. (Don't just leave your browser open with a dozen tabs in it because you're lazy. Don't just have random task tray programs running. Only the ones you need.)

I just have 3 applications running when streaming. I have a low bitrate of anywhere between 1000-2000, and I have the standard 720p 30fps in my video and output settings

belboz

I would post a log file from a stream of a few minutes where you have the problem. It will allow us to see all your OBS settings, PC info, and other stuff to help you try to figure out things.

Kakarot64

I'm not sure which log it was, but I know it was on the day I originally made this post.

Attachments

• 2016-02-17 18-23-26.txt
    27.9 KB · Views: 2,112
  • 2016-02-17 16-23-34.txt
    19.4 KB · Views: 369
  • 2016-02-17 15-43-12.txt
    23.7 KB · Views: 345

belboz

I think your CPU is really the biggest issue. You could try going to superfast or even ultrafast on the encoding and sacrifice quality for less CPU hit.

You just don't have a lot of horsepower to encode with.

If preset above doesn't help, maybe go with a lower resolution for stream too.

You could try disabling webcam too.

thender

I get this message often with as low as 7% CPU utilization on a 3.3 GHz haswell 6 core i7. It's odd - utvideo is unrecordable at 4:4:4 or RGB, but 7% CPU. x264 will crap out if it goes over 30-40% as well, even on ultrafast preset.

For the original post there are errors during your stream, approx 10% frames were not encoded correctly which as @belboz says is down to your CPU:

Number of skipped frames due to encoding lag: 5279 (10.5%)
Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 75 (0.1%)

Try the estimator, linked under help at the top of the page but you may struggle even if you downscale.

@thender if you need some help with your config please could you create a new thread. Your rig and @Kakarot64's rig are at opposite ends of the spectrum :-)

sam686

i3-4030U CPU @ 1.90GHz is weak cpu, might not be fast enough to encode 720p 30fps and run games at the same time. Try SuperFast or UltraFast preset at a small cost of quality, or reduce frame rate or resolution.

For a 3.3 GHz haswell 6 core i7, maybe add threads=12 or higher in x264 custom settings, but not sure if this will help.

Spicy Gamer

this is my log file
CPU Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3537U CPU @ 2.00GHz
22:47:06.541: CPU Speed: 2494MHz
22:47:06.541: Physical Cores: 2, Logical Cores: 4
22:47:06.541: Physical Memory: 8071MB Total, 4686MB Free
22:47:06.541: Windows Version: 10.0 Build 10586 (revision: 0)
22:47:06.541: Aero is Enabled (Aero is always on for windows 8 and above)
22:47:06.553: OBS 0.14.1 (64bit, windows)
what setting should i run on?

Spicy Gamer

i stream using xbox app so i was wondering what setting is best. There is an encoding overload issue when i use the xbox app on windows 10 to stream and i need help on the best setting that won't tell me that the encoding presets will have to be changed

Xorath

I've noticed something new & odd with the newest OBS Studio 14.0 & 14.1...there are random CPU peaks at times that didn't happen back in 13.4 and anything before that.

On average my CPU remains at around 44%-60% then it peaks at around 70%-80% with which everything else taking about 10%-20% makes the computer just freeze for a few seconds for no reason regardless as to what's happening on stream.

Haven't changed any of the settings since OBS 13.0...is there any memory leak or some bug that needs to fix...or is 14.0/14.1 that much more powerful & randomly intense?

Joran

i3-4030U CPU @ 1.90GHz is weak cpu, might not be fast enough to encode 720p 30fps and run games at the same time. Try SuperFast or UltraFast preset at a small cost of quality, or reduce frame rate or resolution.

For a 3.3 GHz haswell 6 core i7, maybe add threads=12 or higher in x264 custom settings, but not sure if this will help.
I'm currently using an Acer Aspire XC-115 with an 1.8 ghz AMD A4-6210 processor and a R7 240 GPU which can't record properly on the settings a have on a i5 3337u without gpu which runs it fine...

steepppp

I have a

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU 2.40GHz

Ram: 4GB

64-Bit Operating System

Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 520M

What settings to I use?

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
@steepppp
Why revive an ancient thread instead of making your own new thread?

There's a lot of information missing from your question. Are you recording or streaming? What are you capturing - games, browsers, MS Paint? What actual OS are you running (Win7, Win8, Win8.1, Win10, not Windows at all)? There are plenty of guides here on this site. I suggest trying something, and then making your own thread (include a log!) if you're having issues or require feedback.

Hello there.
i was wondering if i could send screenshots to you for aid in my problem.

Details:

i) Encoding overloaded! message is displayed all / most of the time.

ii) CPU : ~ (8% - 14%) , while not recording, and ~ (36% - 66+%) while recording.

iii) Scenes ; 1 scene , named "Scene"

iv) Sources ; 3 sources , named respectively "TeamFortress2" , "Payday2" , "Minecraft" .

v) Mixer : Desktop Audio and Mic/Aux.

vi) FPS : ~ (3 - 34) while recording , ~ (42 - 60) while not recording .

vii) OUTPUT TAB :

output mode : simple

(streaming unnecessary)

Recording:

Recording Path : C:/Users/Gary/Desktop/OBS Studio 18.0

Generate file name without space box is NOT ticked.

Recording Quality is : "Same as stream"

Recording Format is : "flv" (was previously set to mp3 but recently changed back to flv)

Custom Mixer Settings is : (no text)

Enable Replay Buffer box is NOT ticked.

viii) VIDEO TAB :

Base (canvas) Resolution is : 1600 x 900 (original is 1440 x 900)
Output (scaled) Resolution is : 1600 x 900 (original is 1440 x 900)

Downscale filter is : "Bilinear (fastest but blurry if scaling)" (original is "Bicubic (Sharpened Scaling , 16 Samples)")

Common FPS values is : 60 (original is 30)
Integer FPS values were recently set to : 10 (original is 30)
Fractional FPS values were recently set to : 10/1 (original is 30/1)

Disable Aero box IS ticked. (Aero was set to original Windows 7 aero, rather than the customized aero)

ix) ADVANCED TAB :

General :

Process Priority : Normal

Video :

Renderer : Direct3D 11
Video Adapter : (no text)
Color Format : NV12
YUV Color Space : 601 , YUV Color Range : Partial

Audio :

Audio Monitoring Device : Default

Recording :

Filename Formatting : %CCYY-%MM-%DD %hh-%mm-%ss
Overwrite filename if exists box is NOT ticked.
Replay Buffer Filename Prefix : Replay , Suffix : (no text)

Stream Delay :

Stream Delay box HAS NEVER BEEN ticked.

Automatically Reconnect :

Enable Box HAS ALWAYS BEEN ticked
Retry Delay (seconds) : 10 , Maximum Retries : 20

Network :

Bind to IP : Default
Enable new networking code box HAS NEVER BEEN ticked

x) Windows Edition :
Windows 7 , copyright 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

xi) System :
Rating : 4.1 Windows Experience Index ,
Processor : Genuine Intel(R) CPU 2140 @ 1.60GHz 1.60GHz ,
Installed Memory (RAM) : 4.00 GB ,
System Type : 64-bit Operating System ,
Pen and Touch : No Pen or Touch Input is available for this display

OBS STUDIO IS CURRENTLY UPDATED TO : 18.0.1

My obs studio window description : OBS 18.0.1 (64-bit, windows) - Profile: Untitled - Scenes: Untitled

I hope that this is enough information as to solve my problem.
(I cannot upload my videos, but whenever the Encoding overloaded! message appears, the output recording freezes while the preview does not (preview scale has to be 1600 x 900 to try to ensure the entire screen is used), all this information is when nothing other than Minecraft and OBS studio are open (not even skype would be an active tab))

ALSO . whenever I press "Stop Recording" if i have 20 minutes of recording time, it keeps going with "Stopping Recording..." until 1hr 10 mins!!! But only the 20 mins show up. If i press "Stopping Recording..." once, it immediately goes to "Start Recording", but when i view the file later only 0 - 5 mins are processed, the rest would be erased.

If you have further questions, please visit TheWraithSummoner on Youtube for more details.

Thank you.